• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I just get? Need help IDing WC 1941 (?)

wcdump

Hi all.

I just traded a lathe for the following truck: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=350615&stc=1&d=1344017339 and I'm not completely sure what I got! From the hood I would say 1/2 ton WC (I have the Dodge bages from the hood). The nose/grill do not appear to be correct. At some point in it's life the truck spent some time with a weldor - the bed is a dump bed, the running boards are from plate/angle iron and welded to the frame. Additionally (and I just realized this) it appears that someone welded the frame of something else (?) to the original in support of the snow plow: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=350617&stc=1&d=1344017542 The thing that I only now realize is that the original front appears to have been cut off (where the front leaf spring mount is). The leaf now mounts to the plow frame.

Anyway, I went searching for a S/N and I understand they should be between the front wheel and cab on the drivers side? I can't find anything (see previous picture). Would it be stamped into the frame or on a plate? Anything else that can be used to ID?

Finally, the dash might be of interest...http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=350616&stc=1&d=1344017542 unfortunately only the speedo is original (I think it is). The other two are on some plate which goes through a squarish holes in the dash. I know that the gauges changed in the early ones, but I wonder if there is anything else which might be a good identifier.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts about things to check for to help ID it that would be great. Is there an engine number somewhere on the motor?

The idea is that the old beauty should get some brakes and a bit of a clean up and it will go into service as a plow at my home. It currently runs and drives and can be coaxed into stopping with the hand-brake. Over time I'd like to get it back on the road, although now I am worried that the frame might be a show-stopper there. Not sure if the mod is legal/fixable/noticable when it comes to inspection.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

don

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Don
On my WC the vehicle number is stamped on the frame on the drivers side. In the photos you posted, I would say it is under all that metal for the plow. That will make you a great farm truck.
One of the few. Frank USMC RET

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Radiator shell and brush guard are 3/4T dodge, hood and cab appear to be 1/2T . S/n should be stamped on top of left frame rail around the front wheel. pretty much a frankin truck

wcdump

Thanks for the reply Frank. That is unfortunate, I was hoping it was farther back.

I did get some numbers off the engine:

6.15.53 P 1405849-5

That first number looks like a date? Not sure about the P number, although I saw another post referencing the P as a Plymouth engine (not the T2xx) of the originals.

This truck has seen some mods over time so I'm guessing that most things are going to be a hodge-podge.

don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks