• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did they do to this beauty?

greenjeepster

Any speculation on what happened to this one? I am thinking it was launched through the air and blew the suspension out when it landed. We certainly can't blame a GL forklift for this one. I am also curious why it was worth so much, when some runners are not selling at 10 K?

*photo attributed to Govplanet*

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The military loves dropping things out of the sky.

Sometimes it works.

Before:
332281_248583905265093_42414125_o.jpg

After:
136084_263850410405109_1350138458_o.jpg

Al Harvey

We were doing some training on Fort Campbell years ago and a guy was blocking the road. Talked to him and he explained they were doing an air drop of two water bladders. While we watched, the first one started falling, I asked the guy "Isn't that chute suppose to open?" He looked and said, "Yeah". Then it hit and made a nice loud SLAM. The second one rolled out and it's chute opened just fine. That day I learned if I ever needed anything air dropped, order twice as many as what I needed. LOL

FloridaAKM

Air drop slight parachute failure to say the least..
Any speculation on what happened to this one? I am thinking it was launched through the air and blew the suspension out when it landed. We certainly can't blame a GL forklift for this one. I am also curious why it was worth so much, when some runners are not selling at 10 K?

*photo attributed to Govplanet*

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That HMMWV was cannibalized and/or suffered some other unpleasant non-Airborne demise. If it burned in on a airdrop the fiberglass hood would certainly be splintered; overall it would look far worse. Just look at the photo of what was an M37. It looks like the hood was just removed then set back on the vehicle. You can see the brush guard and frame under the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd94Rfi_gng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhFRGzh0s0

Last edited:

KsM715

That HMMWV was cannibalized and/or suffered some other unpleasant non-Airborne demise. If it burned in on a airdrop the fiberglass hood would certainly be splintered
not necessarily. Could have had a problem with the main schute that slowed it down just enough to keep it from burning in. If it was strapped to a pallet with a healthy amount of cardboard underneath the fiberglass could survive.

Looking at at the pic again though it does look like just the springs and motor are gone and it was just left that way

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks