• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What gear oil does everyone like for the 3 speed and transfer?

dougimes

I am servicing my 3 speed and transfer in the M38.

What gear oil is everyone' favorite? I have used sae80-90 over the years, and have run some purple synthetic in the m38a1.

advise?

SturmTyger380

First read this document -

'Somewhere around 25 years ago a deactivated or buffered sulfur was developed that would react with
the phosphorous to create the protective/sacrificial layer in the conditions created in the gear boxes
(temperature and pressure) without being corrosive to the brass, copper, etc.'

'In normal operation, the sulfur/phosphorous additive forms a black sacrificial coating on the gears and
anything it touches with a little pressure and temperature. As the gears turn, instead of wearing, the
sacrificial coating of additives is peeled off or worn off. This is normal and acceptable in all steel gears.
But when one or more of the surfaces is brass or another soft metal, the sacrificial coating is stronger
than the base metal, and instead of just peeling off, it takes with it a few microns of brass that it is
bound to.'

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I use this because it contains no sulfur or phosphorus.

https://lucasoil.com/products/heavy-duty-trucking/synthetic-50-wt-trans-oil

Alan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks