• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happened to the site - Site shows mobile view (Internet Explorer)

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What has happened tot he site? There is no logo, no search feature, and it's almost impossible to navigate. In the top right hand corner there is a Letter V, then the word Bulletin. On the right there is a calculator that does nothing, and a magnifying glass that does nothing. What is going on?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd suggest clearing cookies or try a different browser. You've got something going on with your browser. The other view you're talking about is the mobile site, very very stripped down for cell phones. (Or you can use tapatalk) You might have some other malware on your computer as well with the 404 errors. If it was the security system, you'd get 503 errors on EVERY page.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to run a full virus and malware scan and shutdown for the night. Hopefully it's something simple.

Augdog1964

What happened to the site? Is it just me?

Did Steel Soldiers just change? All I see now is Vbulletin and a totally different look to the site... which IMHO is not good!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone else had similar problem recently.......

mine is still the same as always.....

Think they said you might have gone to the "mobile" site..............I'm computer illiterate, so that's the best I can do for ya, sorry.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think MarchPlumber is on track with this one... look around and see if you see a link that says something like "Full Site" and see if that doesn't fix it.

NormB

I get that sometimes on my iPad or iPhone. Not always. try to find a setting in your browser or OS for "mobile" site and change it.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have IE 11.0.38, and it looks the same as it does in Firefox. A couple weeks ago, I did end up in a weird looking version after doing searches for key words. In retrospect, it probably was a mobile version because there was a link to full version that got me back to "normal".

natrgatr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took TrailLifeBill's advice and found the Full Site link at the bottom of the page (in Internet Explorer). It made the site appear normal again, but when I went to post a reply, it wouldn't let me type in the reply box. Weird.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It looks completely different in Internet Explorer, but normal in Chrome for me. Microsoft must have made a change in the Browser.
I'm guessing that's the case. To switch back from the mobile view, just scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Site". I'm guessing IE is screwing around with their browser and "trying" to make things more cross-platform friendly by having some sort of mobile view incorporated into their desktop browser.

vbulletinswitch.jpg

And my personal thoughts on the matter....
iebrowser.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like there's something with IE11 that isn't just limited to our site. Here's a work around mentioned for IE.

1. Navigate to the website that isn't displaying properly.
2. In Internet Explorer (desktop), tap and hold on the bar at the top (or right click).
3. Tap on "Menu bar" so it's highlighted and there is a tick by it. A menu with File, Edit, View, Favourites, Tools and Help should appear.
4. Go to tools and open "Compatibility View Settings". "Add this website" should have the domain of the site you've visited already filled, so click "Add".
5. Close the windows then refresh the website that wasn't displaying properly. It should hopefully now display as it should.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's strange. Course I don't have a mac (I do have a hackintosh though, I'll go log onto the site with it in a bit to check). I use FF exclusively with no issues. Did reverting back to the full site link resolve it for you Dave?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The denial of service attack is on your equipment methinks
You are being redirected, or a rootkit or timed out trojan or whatever.
I call them farticles

AVG is free
works good

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks