• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this 8x8 I saw on the highway?

shadow

:shock: I saw this 8x8 on the highway 2 days ago. Lucky I had my camara with me and I saw it in time. (I was 1/4 mile from my off ramp when I saw it) I followed it a little ways and took some pics of it. What is it? I can not figure out what is on the back end. I wish I had those tires on my tractor. :mrgreen:

Attachments

Jones

HEMTT (Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck). Looks like an M-977 from the pictures. Sitting on 1600X20 tires. On the rear is a knuckle crane for self-loading and unloading cargo.

spicergear

That is the M977 light cargo unit. I just mid mounted one of those M977 cranes onto my deuce truck. If you look at the picture above again, the crane stands up on the four main hydraulic cylinders then rotates on the mount under them. Boom telescopes and has a winch for lifting loads via cable.

GREAT PICTURES!!!

rmgill

Are two 3/8" chains enough to hold the back end of that HEMMT? .8 Gees for forward motion seems outside the scope of just two 3/8" chains and that large of a truck.

Jones

Based on the known relative sizes of the rear tie-down shackles, marker light lenses and tail lights I'd say that the tiedowns are a tad beefier than 3/8". Pulled back against the wheel well rise of the Murray gives it about 20" tall wheel chocks. Spring brakes would be set; eight 1600X20s, locked, is a bunch of friction.
I'd trust the baby HEMTT to a lash-up like that.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats how the Army says to truck transport them. Rail loading them, thats an entirely different matter.. The RR guys LOVE chains, and want to see many many of them per truck, as per their exacting specificaions.

rmgill

Jones, so you're thinking those are 1/2" chains and not 3/8"?

Magnus, there's only a pair of binder/chain assemblies on the rear. DOT guidelines say that you need .8 gees worth of holding force on the rear of the vehicle to prevent forwards movement. The front chains (or each corner) are to stop side to side or rearward movement. Or, all together, in the event of an accident to keep the load on the railer.

Hmm, just noticed two other problems. One of those rear shackle hairpins looks like it's just stuck in and the left side tool box on in front of the fuel tank is open/flapping in the wind.

jasonjc

Those chain are at leaset 1/2" if not 5/8" and I dont think it can get over that 36" neck on the trailer. the glad hand cover are flopping as well as some over pins in the back. and that cotter pin has enough bent in it that it anit coming out whit out a hammer.

Jones

I'm thinking 1/2" chains. The guys that run the big drop neck trailers are usually heavy haulers and everything on-board is to secure loads that would turn a lot of trailers into swaybacks. Cotter pin would look better inserted from the top down and as for the toolbox lid... don't know the DOT regs on this but I'm sure all outside storage has been emptied prior to turning it over to the trucker. When we prep for shipment, all compartments are left open to indicate, at a glance, that they've been emptied, then closed after loading.

n1vbn

These pics are of an M-977 that showed up last year for the Weare, NH MVMVC Annual rally. Totally blew everyone away. Awesome truck. Here come the pics.

Attachments

mudguppy

here's a couple pics of the wrecker i occassionally "borrowed" for recreational use in Iraq. sorry, i don't have any good single shots of it, but the M984 is an amazing vehicle.

no, that wasn't my suburban. just helping out a friend in need. :wink:

M984 trivia: designed with the "emergency capability" to tow a bradley. i haven't seen it personally, but i have seen them tow M9 ACEs and M577s/113s. the largest wheeled combo i've seen towed is a HET w/ trailer PLUS another HET tractor on the trailer. :shock: i've personally towed a fully loaded PLS w/ trailer. talk about a wide turning train.... :roll:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love these trucks, both the 977 and 984. About as close I'll ever get to owning one is the towing lights I have from the M984. I esepcially love the wired remote for the Grove Crane. Wonder if Spicergear found one of them for his crane on the deuce. Hey Travis, doesn't the M984 also have a similar Grove crane like the M977?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M984's crane is bigger than the M977's.. Interesting note.. Most HEMTT Cargo's are being rebuilt at M1120 LHS systems. Basically, Oshkosh takes the 977, rebuilds it, puts the PLS load handling arm on it, and it's a "baby" PLS that carries an 11 ton load as opposed to the PLS's 16 tons. I had the first 4 HEMTT LHS systems in the Army when they first were playing with the idea in 1997/8

mangus580

James, do you know where he came in from with this truck? Looks alot like the one that came in with the convoy at aberdeen...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, since they are doing the LHS rebuild, it there a stock pile of the Grove cranes somewhere?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the same M977 that was at Aberdeen..

Im sure in Appleton Wisconsin, there are piles of beds and cranes... Call Oshkosh, they might have them for sale cheap..

n1vbn

mangus580 said:
James, do you know where he came in from with this truck? Looks alot like the one that came in with the convoy at aberdeen...
The story I got was he lives on Long Island, NY and drove via the New London, Ct. Ferry to the rally. The best part of the story was he found it on a used car lot in NJ..seems the original owner lost his storage and sold it to the used car dealer. Allegedlly he bought it for $8000.00!!!! Had to be the bargain of the year and drove it home.

The S-280 has a refrigerator, TV AC....everything your typical RV has and an external generator for power. Sorta makes an M-109A3 seem pale by comparison which is what I have my eyes set on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks