• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this Tank called

insanejecke

OK wile i was at my grampas today i remember this old tank in his town so i went looking for it at the time i remembered as a kid climbing on it and stuff and i through it was a sherman tank well i was wrong. and i do not know what it is.:confused:

And i thought these tank had there engine taken out well i dont think this 1 does because it had a lot of oil leaking from it and on the ground could not get a good pic of it but i got 1 from from of the spots i found

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
anti air, correct. They do not fly.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, hydrogen powered! green power!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M42 40 mm Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun, or "Duster," is an armored light air-defense gun built for the U.S. Army from 1952 until December 1959. Production of this vehicle was performed by the tank division of the General Motors Corporation. It used components from the M41 light tank and was constructed of all welded steel. The 500 hp, six-cylinder, air-cooled, gasoline engine is located in the rear of the vehicle. A total of 3,700 M42s were built. The vehicle has a crew of six and weighs 22,500 kg (49,500 lb) fully loaded. Maximum speed is 45 mph with a range of 100 miles. Armament consists of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors, with a rate of fire of 240 rounds per minute (rpm) and either a .30 caliber Browning M1919A4 or 7.62mm M60 machine gun.

Although the M42 Duster was initially designed for an anti-aircraft role, it proved highly successful when used in the Vietnam War against unarmored ground forces.

B3.3T

The M2a1 Bofors were taken from WWII ships. Pretty useless weapon in the jet age, but loved in Vietnam; could really clear a treeline!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I guess I am just an old fart but I could not follow the non-grammer on half of those posts.
Welcome to my world. Having been the editor of a military publication I often have to bite my tongue (or reign in my fingers) to keep from hurting someones feelings or being called a "grammar bully".

The war on illiteracy has been fought to a standstill.:roll:

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fit or fight?

Please use spell check , capitalization and punctuation. ( It's in the rules) At least try.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how did 6 people fite in that thing*???????
They didn't. Probably one was in the driver's seat, one gunner, two loaders in the gun mount, and two ammo monkeys who were outside on the ground unpacking shells from their cans and handing them up to the loaders as fast as possible.

See the open feed mechanisms above the breeches of the guns? As fast as the gun fired, you had to load clips into them to sustain full auto fire. Lots of shells, fed in 4-rd clips per gun, and the loader had to be there to shove clips into it as fast as possible. You had to be good at lifting weights because those clips weren't light and you have to MOVE.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks