• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What muffler will make the 6.2 sound like a diesel

detroitdiesel4x4

Started constructing my stacks (don't bash me...I have good reasons behind it), cut the pipes off right behind the muffler so right now its straight piped. It would sound good if it was a gas V8, but its a diesel, so that crackely gasser sound isn't what I'm going for...and its so loud I cant even hear that oh so great "slapping" sound diesel engines make. What muffler would make the 6.2 sound more like a diesel and less like a gasser. I'm not concerned about how loud or quiet it is, but I do like to make some noise every now and then.

detroitdiesel4x4

reason #1 I park in hay fields, and even though its un-likely (but I've seen it happen before) I don't like the idea of the exits pointing into a dry pile of raked hay. #2 I did a true dual setup, and i'm alone most of the time, so I like to keep an eye on what my exhaust's doing. Bank 1 seems to blow blue and bank 2 is grey under load. Didn't figure that out until I plumbed into the truck bed

detroitdiesel4x4

On a side note, i'm using short (about 38" on each side) 2" pipe, wich will be painted flat black. I'm not going with the stereotypical dual 8" exhast stacks that are a good 45" high

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you have it stacked now, but just don't like the sound?

And your hoping with just mufflers, you can make it sound "more diesel like"?

I'm kinda stumped on how to change the sound.

detroitdiesel4x4

its not stacked just yet. I have my pipes plumbed to the bed, but no physical "stacks" on...just pieces that stick through the bed floor about 3 inches high. Right now its straight piped, and sounds like a gasser. Its much too loud for my taste, so I'm looking to buy mufflers. If I buy mufflers, which mufflers would make it sound less like a gasser and more like a diesel?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard the 6.2L called a lot of things. But never a gasser.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things I learned over my life is that I'm alone most of the time when I'm driving and when I was about 12 I learned not park any hot exhaust on dry grass.

Did something change? Just asking because it seems like you are looking for a solution to an already solved problem. Truck sounds good to begin with.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once this problem is sorted out and pics are posted, I'll make this a sticky cuz I'm sure this question is on everyone's minds.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I like the sound of the factory exhaust. Sounds just like a 6.2 diesel. As far as true duals, were the facory installed duals fake? Going to be hard to monitor the exhaust color going down the road with stacks. You can see the factory stuff with the mirrors. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't put stacks on, just pointing out the obvious. It's your truck, install what you prefer, no one here needs to approve.

I don't know how to make it sound like more of a diesel. Are you thinking along the lines of a modern turbodiesel (cummins/duramax/powerstroke)? Cuz there is no way to make a 6.2 sound like those.

If you want to hear more of the diesel engine clatter, put stock-type mufflers on it. If you want to hear a powerful exhaust go with magnaflows or flowmasters... thrush and cherrybomb make cheaper welded (flowmaster-type) mufflers as well. Walker SoundFX mufflers are louder than stock too. Turbo mufflers might be the best of both worlds. They are on the quieter side, while still giving a little mellow exhaust rumble.

As for the stacks...its your truck. If you like the way it looks go for it. I've seen some trucks with pretty cool looking stacks...but if they are too small (under 2.5" inch), too big (over 5"), or those big dumb longhorn-looking ones, they usually look stupid. And I don't see how the stacks solve the heat near hay/grass "issue." Most of the heat coming off the exhaust is near the engine anyways... you could probably hold your hands on the tailpipes when its idling or after light driving situations.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the field catches fire, you can drive away from the fire.

If the stuff in the bed of your truck catches fire, well, you can walk away across the field and watch your truck burn in place!

Your best bet is to install a stereo and crank up some big rig trucker songs.

RedneckMilenko

I've been thinging about cherry bomb glass packs. Anyone else done this? Every gas burner I've owned I've ran straight pipe, I'd love to that with this truck too but I'm afraid there would be too little back pressure. I just like it loud enough to hardly hear the radio up, but I also don't want my M1009 sounding "sick" ether. Diesel is a new one on me.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes(easily found by searching key words) and the fella told us all that's what he wanted.

iirc, he later posted how they were stupid loud and removed them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, 20 threads come up with a search for "glasspack".

Get reading!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks