• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Oil and Filter do you use?

Jack Lope

Reading the 6.2L manual and it says:

-7 Quarts with filter change
-Filter model AC Delco PF35
-Use ONLY SF/CD (best choice) or SF/CC (acceptable) quality oils

I would think there is more than one manufacture for oil filters. Fram, Mobile1?

Also, according to some other info I was reading, SC/SD was perhaps good oil when the manual was written, but are there better options now?

This diagram is most certainly referring to gasoline engine oil.

oil.jpg

Skinny

Gam probably wants you to buy a genuine Delco filter.

I use WIX and Rotella or NAPA brand oil depending on what's on sale.

markg

On vehicles i plan to keep i run full synthetic, 15w-40 weight and extend my change intervals to 15k or more per manufacturer recommendation . I run filters that will do the job. If your set on a more economical change i have used 15-40 rotella or chevron for diesels. thanks. mark

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure seems like you would might find that info in the CUCv Wiki or the CUCV FAQ sticky.. But maybe not.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

RumbleLina likes Shell Rotella T oil,
And a Fram oil filter.. I believe it is one of their 2 quart HP filters..
If I am not mistaken.

Hope this helps.

Good night.

Jack Lope

Just ran up to the auto store and got 2 gallons of the Shell Rotella T 15w-40 (. It was on sale too, so that was nice.

I picked up an AC Delco PF1218 oil filter. This is the filter the book at the store said. They didn't have an AC Delco PF35. The PF1218 seems much shorter than I was expecting. It's about 6" tall, I guess. Anyone use this filter? It was less than $5.00.

While I was at it, I grabbed an air cleaner too.

I don't see SF/CC or anything on the oil, but I do see CJ-4. I guess there were more oil varieties back in 1984.

Last edited:

Keith_J

SF and CC are obsolete. S oils are for Spark ignition, C oils are for Compression ignition. The second letter is revision. Some are dual rated. Oils have been upgraded over the past 30 years so most C oils are CJ, most often CJ 4 which can be used in some modern spark ignited engines.

ducer

The 1218 filter is a direct replacement for a pf35. The 35 had no anti drainback checkvalve the 1218 does, It also replaces the light duty pf25. The 1218 works great on gas small block and big block Chevys, I yuse them all the time, but if you have headers make sure there is a heat sheild around the tube closest to the filter or it will cook the oil in the filter and plug it up. I blew up 6 big blocks one summer before I figured it out.aua

Denny

Hasdrubal

Wix 51061 and Rotella T 15W40. Ten years ago I used a Fram PH5 then a TG5, until I checked an oil filter comparison article that stated Fram were junk. Switched to the Wix which is also Napa Gold 1061.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scored a deal on a case of twelve Baldwin B1428 oil filters and mostly use whatever 15w40 is on sale at Costco, which is usually either Mobile DelVac or Chevron Delo 400. Around here you won't get oil any cheaper.

Used to use the AC Delco 1218's but I read some bad stuff about them being the most counterfeited filters out there. Also noticed the Baldwins are a taller filter: more filtering area per square inch maybe?

Also curious: How much oil do your guy's 6.2's use between change intervals? Mine will take about a full quart and slightly more in 3000 to 4000 mile intervals.

markg

Also curious: How much oil do your guy's 6.2's use between change intervals? Mine will take about a full quart and slightly more in 3000 to 4000 mile intervals.
I think gm would say a quart every 1500 miles is exceptable. im sure some will disagree. i think yours is plenty good. all mine use some oil. my 6.5 in my 94 k2500 uses the most with about 150k on the clock. thanks. mark

GPrez

Sure seems like you would might find that info in the CUCv Wiki or the CUCV FAQ sticky.. But maybe not.
He was asking for opinions from the members here on possible better products not what's necessarily in the Wiki or FAQ. Apparently many others here were willing to answer the question rather than leave a useless response.

Myself, I use Rotella T 15W-40 in 5-gallon buckets from Tractor Supply, and whatever filter happens to be on sale. Fram or Purolator is usually what I end up using.

I used the Delco 1218 a couple times in my 1009 (I bought a few with my employee discount when I worked at a GM dealer a few years ago). They are good filters, but as was mentioned they are nearly an inch shorter than comparable filters. I use Wix or Napa Gold filters on all my vehicles. A Fram filter of any kind has never touched anything I've owned with an engine, while I owned it at least. There was a brand new Fram air filter in my car when I bought it. I threw it straight in the garbage, and replaced it with a quality one.

I use Mobil Delvac 1300 or Delo 400 15w40 oil in the 1009 (depending on which is on sale at O'Reillys). My oil pressure light stays on longer when I've used Rotella 15w40. I am considering switching over to Rotella T6 synthetic for both my car and my 1009. I probably should have changed over before winter...with it being so cold I'm sure the green beast would have much preferred the synthetic.

This link was posted a month or two ago. they have a great write up comparison of oils.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rot...hair-oil-foot-ointment-salad-dressing-188168/

Last edited:

trooper632

Just to share, my NAPA dealer told me that on Wednesday, March 19th NAPA is having its big Filter sale, I believe all filters will be 50 percent off, I plan on stocking up on all filters I need for all vehicle. Just wanted to pass it along

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks