• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What PTO Pump for Snow Plow Hydraulics?

Senderofan

Hey Brothers:

Looking for advice on PTO pumps / Hydraulic reservoirs to run a DOT style snow plow? I'm looking at purchasing a M923A2 and need to figure out components to install a snow plow that turns right / left and raise and lower. I've tried to do a search here.....but haven't been able to get a solid answer per my search. The truck I'm looking at has the 8.3 liter.

Thank you Immensely !!!!

Senderofan

Glenngineer

The transmission will not drive the pto properly unless it is in neutral so you would need an engine driven pump or an electric pump system for a plow.You would get some flow out of a pto driven pump but it would depend on what gear you are in and how fast you are going ,so it may not be adequate or predictable.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
“The transmission will not drive the pto properly unless it is in neutral” , or in gear with the truck moving.

Depending on your application will determine weather it will work for you. While not great for commercial parking lot clearing, the transmission pto will work fine for hwy, private roads and long driveways.

snowtrac nome

the best way to do it is off a crankshaft drive system, if you are only going to run a plow you might get away with a pump run off the accessory drive.

Senderofan

Thanks for the responses. I need to raise / lower infrequently. Also turn left or right when completing the second half of my run. Will be plowing 1 1/2 miles of road....half gravel and half blacktop. So I don’t need anything quick or for frequent maneuvers.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Tobys had a direct mount pto and pump for sale, but he hasn’t been on board in quite some time. If you cant get him through PM, I may have his number. Ive been meaning to get ahold of him anyway to check and see if he’s ok.

davidb56

The transmission will not drive the pto properly unless it is in neutral so you would need an engine driven pump or an electric pump system for a plow.You would get some flow out of a pto driven pump but it would depend on what gear you are in and how fast you are going ,so it may not be adequate or predictable.
I put a engine driven pump on my F350 / 460ci truck. I installed a 4 way joy stick to operate the rams. the raise/lower ram is a double acting, but it raises and lowers a arm and chain, so there is no down pressure. the angle rams are single acting . I paid 650$ for the pump with the clutch, 100$ for the tank, about 60$ for the hoses, 300$ for the joy stick control valve. all from Surplus Center.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If speed is not of the essence, a 24v hydraulic power pack.....an electronic manifold .....and a joystick should do the trick. My M925 has hydraulics I used to power the angle cylinders.....but I added a 24v hydraulic power pack (single acting) for the lift cylinder. I used the plow for a 3/4 mile long gravel driveway.

country

Supporting Vendor
We have shallow PTO set for M925A2 transmissions with close coupled hydraulic pumps - good used take off for $1200

also have plow mounts with hydraulic cylinders- already set to mount to M939 trucks for $900 each

Email for more info if you like

dave

Senderofan

We have shallow PTO set for M925A2 transmissions with close coupled hydraulic pumps - good used take off for $1200

also have plow mounts with hydraulic cylinders- already set to mount to M939 trucks for $900 each

Email for more info if you like

dave

Thanks Dave....We are now in email contact.

Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks