• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do with an m656

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings all. New to SS and new to my m656.

The truck currently has a box with fold down rear gate, removable hoops and canvas cover.

I'd sure like to find the "van" to swap on to the chassis, but that is a pipe dream I am sure due to rarity.

On that note, has anyone retrofitted some other type of camper, enclosure etc. on to the chassis so as
to increase the usability and utility of their rig that actually suited the vehicle?

Looking forward to getting involved.

Cheers!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are rare vehicles, you're best off selling it and buying something more fitting. I'm not speaking purely from the standpoint of preserving the truck but they had a lot of unique parts, are tall, old, hard to find tires, etc.. There are a few that were made with expando bodies on them but wow they are tall and heavy. Of any members here having a truck of that family you're looking at maybe 3-4 of which they were restored or cannibalized to make another run. Also, share pics!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would be creating an M791. M-35tom built one from an M757. They actually use an M4 van body which are kinda common.

Last edited:

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuzzy, I hear you on the rare part. However, one off's and unique are what appeal to me. I've been reading up on a lot of creative conversions others have done with their 6x6's etc. Lots of options out there. As for tires, this one is outfitted with 47" XML's.

Recovery, exactly, would be building a defacto m791. Even though the M4 van body is more common, I think it'd still be pretty hard to find around my area.

There are three things I need to look at fixing: Speedo, tach and flame heater. Everything else works!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cranetruck has a wealth of info on these trucks. He has a nice 757. FYI the M313 semi trailer uses the M4 body as sell. Might be easier to import than a truck if you had to go that route.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. The PO mentioned cranetruck as well. I've reached out in a PM. Hopeful. :)

I'll have to put the word out in and around here to see what may or may not be around. I am pretty committed to building this unit out as a functional camper type unit. I have a frame mounted APU that I am putting on in place of the passenger side storage compartment for starters. Will evaluate options WRT the van/camper portion.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks man, I'm super stoked about it. The XML's sure set it off as opposed to the original boots.

Believe it or not, but this is the EXACT unit that was used in the movie 2012. LOL! (true story)

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I think that's why it's in such good shape. The union would have had strict requirements for the unit to be to spec on many accounts. Which is why it's in such good shape.

Videris

I looked it up. 8x8 that's sick! When do you plan on taking it seriously off-roading, or are you just planning on keeping it for shows?

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is indeed. Insofar as I know (and have tested), air lockers in each diff and an air shifted transfer case. When this thing in in full lock, it is a monster!! And the articulation of the axles is insane. Which is why I am keen on a conversion.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a vid the PO took while out playing here in AB. I know he really loved this machine and was reluctant to see it go, I don't blame him. But this baby is getting the recognition and care it deserves. He can rest assured it's in good hands.

https://youtu.be/ryHaBLxc1oA

Videris

**** bro you're definitely going to have a blast in that thing for years to come. Congrats on it again man that thing is a beast for sure.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know much about these trucks besides what I have read about them in the past but since I saw my first picture of one I have alwasy thought they were one really neat and interesting piece of equipment and it looks like you got an exremely nice example! I dont know anything about parts availability but if that is OK I would keep the truck for sure and get to work, that is a beautiful truck and it sure looks like its worth some attention to make it brand new again, and you get to learn a whole lot that people like me will never be able to! A huge congrats on this one you should be very proud of this beauty!
Karl

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. The PO mentioned cranetruck as well. I've reached out in a PM. Hopeful. :)

I'll have to put the word out in and around here to see what may or may not be around. I am pretty committed to building this unit out as a functional camper type unit. I have a frame mounted APU that I am putting on in place of the passenger side storage compartment for starters. Will evaluate options WRT the van/camper portion.
Nice buy!
Let me know about your progress in exploring this machine, it has many exclusive features. I have enjoyed my 757 now for ten years and love it.
According to the images, your vehicle does not have the original bed (box) and the tires are also not original. If it has lockers, they were fitted by a previous owner, since the truck doesn't come with them. If yours have lockers, I would be very interested in knowing the source.
The truck was designed for "high speed" off road driving, but is geared very low and will not do well on the highway, especially when loaded, figure 50 mph max, probably 35-40 in the hills. Your tires are larger than originals and will give you a higher top speed, buy don't expect much torque.

Anyway, thanks for posting and welcome to the steelsoldiers site.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn! Shocked the crap out of me when this thing landed in my lap. Would NEVER have thought I'd own one. LOL!

Agreed on the box. I figure it will make a great platform for a camper to slide in to.

As for the tires, I'm kind of glad they aren't original. The XML's are a little easier to come by. ;-)

Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks