• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for in a salvage yard but not want to find

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Especially without a stick. Hmmm 12 inch wrench, uh no. How about a 14 inch screwdriver? Uh, no. How about a ball peen hammer? Uh, no. How about......drive it over but ruin the meat in the process? If that's the only answer.

Attachments

61sleepercab

I found a snake between two ten foot 1" boards and had a 8 pound sledge hammer. I took a full swing and split the top board end to end and made the snake mad. I would not recommend killing a snake with a sledge hammer but it can be done. Snake was kind of flat after treatment. Mark (i leave black snakes alone)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The second weapon of choice when going to battle with snakes, the trusty and utilitarian shovel. First would be a firearm with snake shot.

Oh, and I agree, don't kill black snakes.

Carlo

The only bad snake we gave here in the mountains is the viper. Real small but fast. Normally if the know your coming in advance they run but cornered the fight.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel bad. I just mowed up a snake behind the house. :-(
Don't feel bad. Last week while I was mowing the fields I cut up 3 of them. And after I switched to the finish mower and did the yard, a rather large black snake decided to sun himself in my yard by the one freshly mown field. I just gave him a little more surface area to sun.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in AZ I am always looking for them. I know they are there someplace, Do not put yours hands and feet were you can not see.
Do not go out at night without a light.

wdbtchr

We have copperheads in my neck of the woods mostly and they are nasty. They will lay there until you walk right on them then bite you. The guy that was building my brothers house last year went to get into his skid steer and one was curled up inside it. He came out way faster than he went in.

We have water moccasins but only around the river. Hate them too they come after you in the water.

IMO the only good snake is a dead snake.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a medium size Garter snake get in front of my mower. I stopped and picked him up and carried him curled up in my hand for 45 minutes while I mowed the rest of the field. I think it liked it. Warm hand in the sun. Like a day at the beach. I put them all out in the back of the property. I got a black snake two years ago and put him by the barn for the mice. He must be eating well because last year my local scrapper went out to get a pile of steel and came back asking me if I knew I had a huge black snake. Yep and leave him alone. He was only about 4-5 feet long when I put him out there.

;-)

saddamsnightmare

July 1st, 2014.

The man who says that man is often the aggressor in regards to snakes, has never been caught switching a railroad train where there are copperheads.... The copperhead will lay curled up under the switch machine, and the minute you unlock the lever, you usually have a mad snake at about 18 to 24" distance..... The other place you will find them will be laying along side the rails sucking up the heat in the evenings, likewise they really do not take to being disturbed by either a trainman or a train.
If anything is worse then a copperhead, it is probably a water moccasin, as they are more aggressive then even a copperhead... If its a pit viper, probably the best thing to take after it would be with a 7' brush hog on a very large farm tractor... IMHOP!:shock:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a medium size Garter snake get in front of my mower. I stopped and picked him up and carried him curled up in my hand for 45 minutes while I mowed the rest of the field. I think it liked it. Warm hand in the sun. Like a day at the beach. I put them all out in the back of the property. I got a black snake two years ago and put him by the barn for the mice. He must be eating well because last year my local scrapper went out to get a pile of steel and came back asking me if I knew I had a huge black snake. Yep and leave him alone. He was only about 4-5 feet long when I put him out there.

;-)
We have a large black snake (Rat Snake) that lives in a rock pile near the garage. He makes a point to do a loop through the open garage door all summer and around the house. It gets it's fill of mice and chipmunks. Found him at the mailbox last summer w/ a young squirrel half way down. In general snakes are very good for the enviorment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks