• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What trailer is this? Generator?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a small trailer that was possibly used for a generator. Does anyone recognize it?

There are no data plates. I have searched SS and the web and do not find that small trailer with the details this one has, like the missing corners, no service brakes (has parking brakes), no lights, and unique "sockets"in the rear corners for vertical posts.

The tires/wheels are 235x85x16, hub with 8 x 6.5. Are those wheels common? The bolt pattern certainly is.

Has an 8’ long bed. Tracks on the deck (located just inboard of the fenders that run full length of bed) as for a generator skid.

This is on the paper sticker on the rear bumper, probably sales related? DRMO C/CF 2330-DS-TRAILE1 M98400-4268-TR01 but searches on these lead no where.

Thanks

image (30).jpgimage (28).jpgimage (26).jpgimage (27).jpg0304181332.jpg0303181517a.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It doesn't appear to be made from either the 3/4 ton m101 series, or from a 1/4 ton like the m416 or m762.
I guess if an m101a2 and an m762 were combined it'd look kind of like that.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We've had these posted about before, but I can't find the thread. It looks mostly like an m116a2 minus the surge brake assembly. Sweet trailer you have there.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The C/C F is a clue, as that is a Marine Corps marking (Condition Code) for an obsolescent vehicle due for retirement, meaning if it had a major issue, it would not be repaired. It also used on non-standard items that don't have a parts support chain. When I visited my son's motor pool on Camp Pendleton in December of 2013, they had several nice M931 tractors, but all had C/C F on the bumpers since they were due for retirement soon (which happened about 4 months later).

A new, or newly rebuilt vehicle would be marked C/C A (Condition Code A).

A couple of examples in photos attached, one on an M931 (F) the other an LVSR (A). The markings are done in black or white, or a combination of both, and as close to the front right (passenger) side as they can put them.

So...if it is a Marine trailer, it is known that the Marine shops often modify existing trailers, or build complete trailers, to a specific Marine need, sometimes just for one unit. They will use stock military parts where they can, and fabricate the rest. You end up with a recognizably military trailer, usually with no data plates, and no type designation, for which you can find no reference material.
To give you an idea of how far they will go, I have a 35' step deck trailer that was built at MCLB Barstow in 1972 (according to the paperwork that came with it).

Anyway, this information may lead you in the right direction, or on a complete wild goose chase. :p

Cheers

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
It's not something the army uses. I looked at the master disc not long ago, of every army gen set and PU/PP unit. Did not see that trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall those units sold in the GL day somewhere out of Ga and an obscure location that was not a usual GL site. Memory is telling me either Gen set or pump?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rory, that is some good information, thanks! The link that DeadParrot referenced associates the M98400 number as a location code with the Corp so your assumption is probably right-on.

The former use of the trailer may not be discovered but now I know more about it's possible history.

The trailer is destined to be a Steyr Puch Haflinger hauler, and it's just about the perfect size. My intention is to make no permanent mods to the trailer, just add a super-structure ramp of 8" channel for the Hafi wheels to roll up on.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its been a long time since I've seen a halflinger! Make sure you post pics of the trailer mods and the halfy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks