• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What weight Oil for Engine and Diffs?

renovate7

I'm getting ready to change the engine and diff oil in my DUKW. The book calls for straight 30 in the engine and 90 weight in the diffs. Any harm or is it a good thing to use 15/40 engine oil and 85/140 in the differentials?

renovate7

The gear oil I'm using, from Wally World, says "protects against corrosion of copper and bronze bushings". It's GL5 rated. And I always thought you use non detergent for engines with no oil filter and detergent for engines with an oil filter. The detergent keeps the dirt
suspended so it can go thru the filter and be removed. If you don't have a filter you want to dirt to settle in the pan and not be continuously circulated in the engine. The filter on this 270 seems to be of minimal value as the lines to and from it are so small.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had always thought detergent was for filtered engines, non detergent was for non filtered.

CMPPhil

Hi

To the question of Detergent or Non-Detergent Oil in WWII vintage engines. Many of them have oil filters and used from the start Non-Detergent. If you know that the engine has had Non-Detergent all along Do Not change to Detergent as it will likely start washing all the deposits out of the engine and in my experience the seals will start leaking oil.
I have 3 WWII CMP trucks all with oil filters and all had non-detergent oil. The 216 Stovebolt Six Chevy engines in the CMPs are very similar to the CCKW engine. My M5 generator, share the non detergent with a filter. One of the things I have seen with the filtered engines running non-detergine oil is that if the filters are changed with the oil the engines can be amazingly clean inside, no sludge at all.

When I rebuilt the engines changed over to detergent.
As most of us have seen engines which have not had the oil changed regurlarly it doesn't matter detergent or non-detergent they will likely filled with sludge.

Hope this adds something.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks