• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you do differently?

Gear Report

I won an IP auction on July 13th. The EUC & Hold Harmless were sent to IP immediately and show as "EUC filled on 7/13/16, EUC Status Submitted to TSC, pending approval"
So, now I wait. Based on the EUC thread I am expecting no less than 16 weeks (maybe more since that will put me close to the holidays when the staff processing EUCs are more likely to take vacation) before I can go to Fayettenam to pick it up.

If you could go back to when you were in this situation, what advice would you give?
What do you wish someone told you or shared with you?
If you could do it all over, what would you do with your time while waiting for the EUC to clear?

I suspect there is already a comprehensive list somewhere of first things to do when getting a surplus HMMWV, but I haven't found one yet. Would love a link to it... if it does indeed exist. :)

Here is the HMMWV that I won, in case you see anything specific in the pictures or description that adds/removes something from your list.
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/748089
The plan is to use the HMMWV as a marketing piece and field vehicle for my site Gear Report​

Action

What to do while you wait? the same thing you did before you bought it. Or just start buying lots of parts that will need replaced. When you get it, try to straighten up the oil cooler fins as best you can. But a "comb" at auto parts store to make it easier.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
download and read the operator's -10, the service tms and the parts tm.

Make a checklist of stuff you are bringing to do a recovery, confirm insurance coverage.

Look into a spare tire / rim.

Nothing jumps out from the pics to me. Interesting head ache rack or whatever that bracket is?

Some of the things I have done. Hope to pick up next week:tank:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Source a front brush guard, you'll need it in the field. Take two new batteries with you. Maybe a trailer to get it to the outdoors. Looks to be a pretty straight truck.
Good luck

Gear Report

Source a front brush guard, you'll need it in the field. Take two new batteries with you. Maybe a trailer to get it to the outdoors. Looks to be a pretty straight truck.
Good luck
Thanks.
I can see that the brush guard is bent. Do you think it is not salvageable?

teteacher101

I won an IP auction on July 13th. The EUC & Hold Harmless were sent to IP immediately and show as "EUC filled on 7/13/16, EUC Status Submitted to TSC, pending approval"
So, now I wait. Based on the EUC thread I am expecting no less than 16 weeks (maybe more since that will put me close to the holidays when the staff processing EUCs are more likely to take vacation) before I can go to Fayettenam to pick it up.

If you could go back to when you were in this situation, what advice would you give?
If you could do it all over, what would you do with your time while waiting for the EUC to clear?

I suspect there is already a comprehensive list somewhere of first things to do when getting a surplus HMMWV, but I haven't found one yet. Would love a link to it... if it does indeed exist. :)

Here is the HMMWV that I won, in case you see anything specific in the pictures or description that adds/removes something from your list.
The plan is to use the HMMWV as a marketing piece and field vehicle for my site Gear Report​
I would think about any upgrades (if any) you want to do and start sourcing an ordering things you want. I would also read up on the maintenance manual an buy all the fluids, tranny pan gasket, filters, etc., so you have everything to do a full service on it as soon as you get it an if anything was noted in the inspection report as broken or missing I'd order those parts as well. I almost went crazy waiting for my EUC to clear, I felt like I was 8 years old an the next day was Christmas but I woke up every morning to find I was trapped in the movie Groundhog's Day!

Gear Report

Thanks for all of the comments so far!

I'm starting to compile a list of all of the feedback I'm getting here and several other places that I posed this question.
I'll share it soon and, with feedback, can evolve it to be a helpful document. :)

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the brush guard is salvageable, but I have a take off, same style as yours. PM me for details.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your status frequently....They don't let you know by email or anything. You'll get some auto emails, like your inspection time has run out and storage fees will acrue.... Don't get worked up.... ignore them, they're automatic, and neither applies until the EUC clears.

Royalpower

much has already been stated so no point in restating... I think you can bend the brush guard back but it wont look clean; you can try to fix it first and if that doesn't work then get a new one.

I would consider new seats. The seats on it are fine if you're going to do short distance driving but get ready for back pain if you'll be going on long drives. I personally got myself some green bucket seats.

I would also consider getting some antennas, look up NSN 5985 01 308 8988 on ebay. Normally used ones will run you $180 + shipping plus mounting bracket for ~$20-50 plus shipping. New ones will run you up from $350+. The issue with the used ones is that you don't know if they will work or not but at least the news ones you can be slightly more confident. I would get new but that's up to you.

Finally, i would get ready to do lots of rust work.

Royalpower

Thanks. What brand and model seats did you get?
The brad is mastercraft, they have several but the set that I got look really nice. Check out this link http://www.mastercraftdefense.com/seats.php

I ordered 2 sets (4 seats) with the intention of selling a set. If you're local, I live in GA (30152), you can pick them up if you want. I haven't figured out what price I want to sell them for but feel free to make an offer.

BTW: here is a link for the antenna as well, if you're interested. http://r.ebay.com/gojy10

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GoldnEagle has some mrap seats you might want to check out that look like they would work well with the 5 point seat belt harness built in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks