• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What you guys think of this M998?

Awol

I don't know if we're allowed to post links to active auctions, so if I'm not supposed to I'll remove it.

That said, I've been eyeballing HMMWVs for a while now. This one caught my eye initially because its in my state of MA, so I could go pick it up myself easily. I was planning on purchasing one in the spring, but this one intrigues me.

From what I can tell, it looks mostly complete, but then again I never owned one so I'm sure I'm missing things. I like the fact that its a 4 man, has 12 bolt rims, has a brush guard, and has the antenna mount. I don't mind the fact that its an older truck.

Is there anything that sticks out that I should take note of?

(link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does have a fair amount of rust, probably salty roads. It seems to be in decent condition overall. If you don't mind reconditioning the hubs and fighting some rust here and there, it can be a good truck.

The rear cover is nice, though plenty of dirt found its way in the front of the vehicle. That can be fixed.

I suspect that will go for more than the starting bid, but if you can keep it below $10K to get it in your driveway you might do OK overall. Partly depends on how much you plan to use it and whether you hope to sell it before long and whether a profit is expected when you do.I

t will need PLENTY of cleaning and maintenance at that age, low miles or not, before you can drive it without concerns. My 1987 is keeping me busy to say the least, but these High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicles do that.

Bulldogger

jbayer

I don't know if we're allowed to post links to active auctions, so if I'm not supposed to I'll remove it.

That said, I've been eyeballing HMMWVs for a while now. This one caught my eye initially because its in my state of MA, so I could go pick it up myself easily. I was planning on purchasing one in the spring, but this one intrigues me.

From what I can tell, it looks mostly complete, but then again I never owned one so I'm sure I'm missing things. I like the fact that its a 4 man, has 12 bolt rims, has a brush guard, and has the antenna mount. I don't mind the fact that its an older truck.

Not allowed to post links to live auctions

Last edited by a moderator:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should delete the link to the auction. The forum rules state no links to current or future auctions.

Here is the relevant section:
Auction Postings:
Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos.
• Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^^What he said...

There is a category up top called RULES between the TECHNICAL MANUALS and CLASSIFIEDS... Might wanna check it out.

Auction Postings:
Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos.
• Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

Jakob1944

I'd go for it if the price is right.....being cold up there and near the holidays people's money is tight......Spring time after holiday recovery people will have monies and you might be paying double.......and might come in handy right now if things in turn sour.....a good wash, brass brush and rattle can of primer will fix it right up.......
my 2 cents worth

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

(link removed)
folks need to not worry about that it has a 4 man setup, 12bolts rims and the such...that is all add on stuff, the tops are normally worn and Need to be replaced anyway, tires are old and even though have plenty of tread, are dried out waiting to come apart. The most important thing is the the drive train and overall condition of the chassis, body and other crucial components. The other stuff is easily replaced and most likely will need to be replaced. I see 4 mans going for a lot more money, but a 2 man will go for a single opening bid of 5-5500.00. The last 6 I bought all needed new tops, even though they looked great from the pics, doors were shot, tires were checkered or even flat on pickup from GP.
Start with a good foundation....

3000gt

War Horse is right, that shat sits out in the sun and BAKES!!!!! If I had it to do over again i would by the 2 door and convert cause I have replaced most of the garbage that came with it.

I have replaced (rebuilt) trans, rebuilt starter, replaced batteries, replaced PS pump (3 times), bought x doors, bought 2 winches (came with M6000) Rims/tires, broke fan blade x2, steering componets etc..

Long story short budget accordingly, and buy a good set of tools (Metric and SAE cause that **** truck has both on it)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long story short budget accordingly, and buy a good set of tools (Metric and SAE cause that **** truck has both on it)
Amen brother. How they manage to put a (fun and capable) platform together that uses SAE and metric on the same part/component still confuses me
Bulldogger

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only parts metric on the truck is the engine, trans and tcase....all of which are off the shelf solutions from OEM.
Its no difference on a civilian car or truck.

Although the original post did not follow *posted rules* I will add in my two cents. Do not buy one because it "looks" together with a top and doors. They will be crap! Mine "looked" together and yet I will be replacing all the doors and top. I would def buy one that "needs" more for less because I would have to replace the parts no matter what. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a basket case and do a motor swap either.

Again, buy one, as RWH said, that has the best bones- good body panels and frame, and then price the rest accordingly.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check Rails...some older M/C trucks have cancer in the long lower portion of rail.
In fact...an upcoming truck at Barstow shows a pic of Cancer eating through a rail....that trucks junk....to much work to fix that....unless it goes way cheaper than minimum bid.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check Rails...some older M/C trucks have cancer in the long lower portion of rail.
In fact...an upcoming truck at Barstow shows a pic of Cancer eating through a rail....that trucks junk....to much work to fix that....unless it goes way cheaper than minimum bid.

Lol, I was just looking at that truck Greg....too bad, it's looked like a nice truck!
maybe I should buy it, I have a rolling chassis here at the shop.....naaaa, never mind.

scott_fr98

What is the auction date of the one you're talking about? I'd like to look at the pictures to get a better idea of what I should be looking for. Thanks, Scott.

Jakob1944

What is the auction date of the one you're talking about? I'd like to look at the pictures to get a better idea of what I should be looking for. Thanks, Scott.
I don't believe they can "Call it out" seeing that GP is one of this forum's sponsor.......Would be like dam ing their product they are trying to sell......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks