• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the trick to adding fluid to the transfer case?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always think a 30 minute job is going to take 30 minutes....You'd think I would know by now. I pictured in my head I was going to run my wife's F150 supercrew up to temp to change her oil and filter, while I checked and filled the transfer case since I pulled it into the garage this weekend and the transfer case appears to be leaking around the gasket little. transfer case is low, couldn't feel the dexron 2/3 with my finger. I tried using a plastic water bottle full of dexron, not a chance. Tried using a little funnel with hose attached, can't get the funnel high enough under the humvee to get any in the transfer case, I now have a half a bottle's worth of fluid on the floor.

Thought I had the pump leaking/prime issue solved by putting a plug instead of the ICE sensor on the top of the fuel filter and running Optilube XP through the system this weekend. Pump didn't leak a bit all weekend, started right up, no air bubbles in the clear tubing I put on the return. 40 degrees this morning, all kinds of air bubbles in the return and the no start problem once again, as I figured I would pull the truck out of the garage to clean up the mess........

I'm guessing the pump is leaking into the valley from all the air (A LOT), so I'll have to pull out the radios and tray to see and it's going in the shop, I'm thoroughly disgusted at this point. My wife and I had fun driving it all weekend and no problems starting it, no diesel in the valley ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR Maybe it needs to live in FL.

In any case here's the radio install so far, I used CARC substitute on the tray.

Attachments

kfrosty

I use one of the quart bottles gear oil comes in with the nipple end on it. It will bend, and fluid will come out when you squeeze. I use those bottles to fill everything.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottle trick or put a hose on bottle and use that, and finally, go to boat place or ebay and get a manuel gear lube pump.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever changed it? If not, drain it and buy 2 gallons and get the pump that goes on the gallon jugs...fill till it comes out the fill hole....done.
pumps available at all auto stores...

infidel got me

I have a suction gun. It looks and acts just like a grease gun. You stick the 3/8 hose in what ever fluid your using, pull the handle, then insert in fill hole, push handle, repeat until full. No mess-- no cussin'-- no waste. You can use it to remove old nasty fluids also--like brake fluid, p/s fluid or when you overfill something. It is a valuable tool on the cheap.

darr3239

buy 2 gallons and get the pump that goes on the gallon jugs...fill till it comes out the fill hole....done.
pumps available at all auto stores...
I purchased one of the hand pumps that goes on the gear oil bottle, when I changed the oil in the hubs. It works, but boy is it a slow process. The hubs only hold a pint, but it took a very long time pumping. I gave up and used an empty quart bottle with the nipple on it, and squeezed it in.

There's got to be an alternative for the differentials and the transfer case.

infidel got me

I purchased one of the hand pumps that goes on the gear oil bottle, when I changed the oil in the hubs. It works, but boy is it a slow process. The hubs only hold a pint, but it took a very long time pumping. I gave up and used an empty quart bottle with the nipple on it, and squeezed it in.

There's got to be an alternative for the differentials and the transfer case.
That's why I posted about the suction gun, its works great for filling diffs.or transfer cases.

infidel got me

Trans

suction.pngSears has these Lincoln suction guns for 20 dollars and change. You can remove or add fluid as needed. I have had mine for 5 plus years and it still works like a champ. Now you see what I'm talking about cuz. That's it I was posting at the same time you were-- ha haaua

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone. I will be changing what's left in the transfer case. Might explain the whine I was hearing too at speed. Can the transfer case cover be removed and a new gasket installed without pulling the case?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks