• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When Adding a Muffler Do You Adjust the Valves?

Somemedic

Had this discussion the other night in the chat lounge where the general consensus was "not necessary" but my friend who I consider versed with the motor says ANY back pressure placed a motor not initially set for a muffler would require a valve timing adjustment.

So who is right? I agree the pressure nominal but my buddy dont sound too far off either.

59apache

Chipmaker
i dont really agree with your buddy....you measure the valve lash at closed valve....thats it.
more lash wont help, less lash want help.
if the backpressure its to high (see exhaust brak thread) your valve doesnt really close and get burned.

just my 2 cents.

bgekky3

I put the NAPA straight through 2148, if I remember correctly, muffler on my truck. I noticed no difference in power or pre turbo pyro temps. I still had to use hearing protection for the gear noise above 45 or so until I insulated the cab. I am no expert, but I don't think a straight through muffler adds any meanial backpressure. I am sure someone with who is more schooled on the multi than I will chime in, but I found no difference. I hope this helps.

Keith_J

Well, you cannot easily adjust valve timing. Valve clearances, sure.

For diesel engines, adding a muffler isn't going to increase valve or head temperatures. Why? Diesels run cooler because most of the time, they are very lean. While a SLIGHTLY lean condition in a gasoline engine will be hot, the typical far excess of air in a diesel means it is much cooler than a gasoline.

Furthermore, the high compression ratio means the engine can derive more mechanical power from the heat of the combustion. This means the exhaust is even cooler.

Put a muffler on it. Don't worry about it

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only muffler MVO I'm aware of for the multifuel engine is the muffler installed on the m656/xm757 series 8x8s in Germany to reduce "noise pollution". No adjustments needed or specified.
As mentioned above, the exhaust brake can easily build the pressure to above 35 psi or so, which may create a valve problem.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks