• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are all the HMMWVs going?

greenjeepster

I am kinda surprised that there don't seem to be that many for re-sale. They have auctioned almost a quarter of what the are approved to sell already. I have a program set up on craigslist that notifies me when a new one is posted, nation wide there are only a handful listed on craigslist, there have been a few on ebay... where are the rest of them?

I was kinda expecting it to be like when they mass sold the M35s, there where dozens on ebay and hundreds on Craigslist. Are people holding onto them? Parting them out?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some were just too expensive to sell. The first sale brought stupid prices. The other thought is that maybe folks are searching for a means to either usurp their agreement in reference street use or are holding on to them waiting for a change to be written into policy or law.

KansasBobcat

I think there is still pent up demand for HMMWVs. Prior to the recent auctions there were about 12,000 H1s and probably 1,000 plus military HMMWVs from 1999 auction, salvage, sale by contracters, etc no one seems to know for sure. Now that prices are low and probably headed lower many can rationalize buying this new toy. If, however, on road restrictions continue to be in place, the secondary market will be seeing lots of them. There can only be so much demand for such a large ATV that needs a large trailer.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are suppose to sell 4000 units. Don't forget, most of the army's HMMWVs are uparmored and those are likely to be scraped.

tim292stro

ISIS? Seems that despite the law's best efforts, these things end up in hands they were never intended for - AM General should be ticked about this acquisition...

On a less depressing note, I think there is actually a demand for these on farms, where 1) superior off-road capabilities in a truck might save one from buying another tractor or $20K+ AWD Gator, and 2) they have plenty of "off-road" and legal leeway to drive traditionally non-street-legal vehicles on the street for short jaunts to other ranches or properties. My 2cents.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd argue most HMMWVs were NOT armored or up-armored. Most TDAs and TOEs still authorize unarmored HMMWVs.

Prices are dropping? Maybe at auction, but the HMMWVs I see for sale from private owners are not much below pre-govplanet prices. The only difference is now most don't have a title.

greenjeepster

Prices are dropping? Maybe at auction, but the HMMWVs I see for sale from private owners are not much below pre-govplanet prices. The only difference is now most don't have a title.
Prices at auction have been pretty steady for about the last 2 months, average for runners is 10 K... There are far fewer runners every week than there were at the beginning of the sale, which is why some people think the prices are coming down.

Gunzy

My earlier comment was ment as a joke, nothing more. There were those $60K+ trucks that auctioned on GL out of New York, of course still no SF97s.

ravensnest

I was talking to the GP rep today at Ft. Bragg while picking up a trailer and told him that I was waiting for the prices to soften on the HMMWVs and he stated that he is pretty sure that there will be a lot more up for auction soon and that pricing should drop between 25 to 35%.

greenjeepster

I wouldn't wait too long... I have been around surplus auctions since before the online contractor liquidations and I think they are at the bottom for runners. GP was pretty smart IMO. They sold the best trucks first at the highest prices, they also moved nearly all 4K of them off base nation wide so they have more control over the rate at which they release them for sale... That was one thing GL never did so they were kinda forced to move inventory quickly. GP didn't rent storage lots and pay towing fees for move all these trucks just to sell them for a few grand... I have been trending he sales on a spread sheet and they are easing back on what they sell every week as the prices slide... They were doing 100 a week for a while, but now they are only doing 60 a week and if prices continue to fall they probably will hold back even more.

I think you would be wise to watch prices week to week as some weeks are better than others, but I would not hold out for much lower prices as I doubt we will be seeing them. If you can get a good one at 10 K with fees I would be very surprised.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
GP seems to have done quite a bit different, Now that we are 6 months or more into it, how do you think the transition has been?

greenjeepster

Personally I have found them much easier to deal with so far. The local guy and the people in CA have all been great when it comes to customer service.

turnkey

The kids are having fun with the barbarie hummers for sale at Toys -R-Us...in army pink...asking price is around 400 us.....Have to get the grandkids one...Mount a Nerf gun in the passenger side ....Batteries last for about 2 hours according to the salesman at Toys -R- Us...These are not STREET LEGAL.....They cannot get legal at the DMV.....Just thought you might want to know about them...

saddamsnightmare

June 13th, 2015.

Backing Mr. Patracy as noted above, one will want to tread lightly, I know its irresistible to cross the boundaries, but the lightening bolts that will descend from Olympus do tend to refocus one's thoughts.....:twisted:

greenjeepster

So it appears that some of the recent GL trucks are getting exported. I got notified to bid on a shipment from Oswego to the Baltimore ship terminal for a HMMWV headed to England.

Perhaps more are leaving the country than we thought.

greenjeepster

Final warning.
June 13th, 2015.

Backing Mr. Patracy as noted above, one will want to tread lightly, I know its irresistible to cross the boundaries, but the lightening bolts that will descend from Olympus do tend to refocus one's thoughts.....:twisted:
What are you two talking about? I haven't seen any political posts since the first warning? Did something get deleated and I missed it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks