• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are you guys getting your radio parts?

86M10086.2L

I'm looking to do a CB with military antenna install on my M1009. From the research I have done. The AB-15 with MS-116 MS-117 MS-118 antenna sections seems to be the way to go. I have seen the antenna mounts and antenna bases on and off on auction sites. But I haven't seen antenna sections anywhere. Does anybody know of any dealers that's sell these military radio parts? I don't mind paying a little bit more if it means I get all the stuff I need. Buying the bases scares me a bit because I know they have several parts and gaskets and such that don't seem easy to find if your missing them. I have also posted an add in the classifieds looking for the parts as well.mAny help would be greatly appreciated.

papakb

A better option might be to use an AB-558/GR base. It mounts the same mast sections as the AB-15 but mounts directly into the 4" hole in the CUCV mounting bracket without having to find an adapter for the 2" hole required by the AB-15.

The 3 mast sections are each 1 meter long so you'll end up with an antenna 117" long. This is a little longer than the 108" a CB would like to see but probably won't make a whole lot of difference.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

Is that a AB-558 or AB-588? Will that base allow me to stow the antenna in the bowed position like the AB-15 and others. Looks pretty rigid from the pic I've seen. Or does the bend come from the antenna mast itself? As far as tuning the mast, I'm really only planning on using the CB for close range use while camping or off-roading. But if I have to I will trim the mast down. SCSG-G4, Gonna check those places out and see what they have. I'll keep everyone updated.

ShimShon

I used an AB-558/GR base with a MS-116, MS-117 and AB-24/GR mast section for my CB. I installed the coax directly with PL-259 connectors to the radio and the AB-558. As "papakb" already writes, the AB-558 mounts directly into the CUCV mounting bracket (I used this bracket as well). Also used a ground strap from the base to the body of the truck.

The MS-116 series elements can also be used together with the AB-21 elements. This gives you the much needed variation in electrical lengths. So, if you use a M-116, MS-117 and a AB-24/GR element, you'll get a total length (including the base) of about 110" long. This gives you a good SWR reading and you don't need to trim the mast down.

And yes, the base will allow you to stow the antenna in bowed position. I always drive it like that except when using the CB.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also try Saturn Surplus and Columbia Electronics. They have the antenna mast sections.

These radio parts are getting hard to find so you shouldn't expect these to be cheap; you'll be disappointed. In the late '70s and early '80s it was cheap and plentiful; now it is almost all gone.

Good Luck!

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SCSG-G4,

Do happen to have anymore specific information for Haynie Electric in Texas? I've tried searching for them on Google and a couple other search engines without any luck.

Thanks,

Storm 51

86M10086.2L

I like the no trim idea. Is there any difference between an AB-24 or an AB-24/GR or is the GR just most likely left off and they are all the same? I've found a few places that have them but they are all listed as Ab-24. No GR designation. I assume they are the same but I wouldn't put it past me that they might no be.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are probably the same. Some of my antenna sections have the GR and some don't. All the ones I have are interchangeable (GR or no GR).

Best bet is to just ask the vendor.

Storm 51

scottgs

... so you'll end up with an antenna 117" long. This is a little longer than the 108" a CB would like to see but probably won't make a whole lot of difference...
This is too much difference! Especially after you add in the base length too. Probably work ok for occasional short range use, but that's all. If you use an older CB, it may damage the final output transistors over time. This puts the antenna resonant near 25 MHz, not 27 MHz.

I would use the element combination that puts you closer to 108" overall length. Then trim the antenna using an SWR meter for optimal performance.

When you trim, do this after you have it mounted, using an SWR meter attached at the radio end. Be sure to park the vehicle out doors in a clear area, away from other vehicles or any large metal objects. Put up the antenna into the position you plan to use it in, and close all doors on the vehicle, and with any canvas top hoops in place, if you plan to have them there when you use the radio. Also, no one should be standing near the antenna when you check the SWR. Get everything in place, step away from the antenna, check SWR, then trim a little bit, then step away, check SWR, then trim. Be sure to always walk away from the antenna when checking.

I would use the element combination that put you close to 108" overall length. Think about the fact that a standard CB antenna whip is 102 inches. This is intended to take into account the length of a spring base mount, which adds 5-6 inches.

Garret
W8BUG

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

So I think I have all my antenna parts lined up. I'm planning on going with the AB-558/MS-116/MS-117/AB-24 setup for my CB install. Also being as they are so cheap. I'm gonna pick up a MS-118 section just in case. Now I'm working on locating a few mounts and guards for my truck, which I may already have located (fingers crossed). And selecting a CB. Any suggestions.

ShimShon

I think the AB-558 with the MS-116/MS-117/AB-24 antenna elements will do just fine if you don't want to trim the antenna. I use this setup as well with my CB radio and my SWR reading is 1.3 which is not perfect, but it's well below 2.0 and works fine for me.

I use the Cobra 29 LX. Has a nice aesthetic design as well. Oh, and don't forget to use a ground strap from your AB-558 base to the body of your truck. High SWR readings are often the result of a bad ground.

Last edited:

papakb

The AB-558 is a fiberglass bodied base so adding a ground strap won't make a big difference. The AB-15 on the other hand needs a physical ground on it. There are a couple different types of connectors found on these bases you need to be aware of. Some of them have an adapter that has a thumbscrew that tightens against the wires center conductor. You don't need it. A simple PL-259 plug on the end of the wire is preferrable.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

ShimShon

Actually, I wasn't specific enough in how I used the ground strap. The grounding strap has a ring connector and I mounted this between the PL-259 connector and the antenna connector (I think it's a SO239 female connector) and attaching the other end of the ground strap to the body of the truck.

I did this because I got an antenna fail when testing the set up without using a ground strap, which made me look first for a bad ground. After adding the ground strap the way I did, I got my 1.3 SWR reading.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks