• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which winch

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,
I need the advise of the collective.
My new to me m35 has a 20k winch that the previous owner partially installed.
This thing is massive. The problem for me is size, weight and the fact that the pto is on the wrong side. I can install a high torque planetary gear hydraulic motor to it. But then I have to add pump.
20170420_191812.jpg
20170420_191821.jpg
20170420_191827.jpg
20170420_191833.jpg
20170420_194428.jpg
Or I can remove it and sell it.
Have no idea what it's worth.
And install the 10k garwood thats on my m135 thats in excellent shape and has pto input on xorrect side.
20170318_121630.jpg
What do you all think is the best course of action?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats the winch from a 5ton. I'd just trade someone(for a deuce winch) for ease of installation, but you can make it work if you want to, Spicergear put one on his deuce.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
:ditto:
I don't know of any major differences between a GMC winch like on your m135 and the stock winch for an m35. If it was my truck I would take off the 20k winch and change it over to the other. However, the m135 winch is the only part that is correct for the m35. You would need to source the frame extensions, winch mounting brackets, driveshaft, and if your truck doesn't have them the PTO and related controls.

It looks like you'll have to cut a lot of welds to get the homemade extensions away from the truck frame and bumper so it would be quite the project. It shouldn't be difficult to find someone willing to trade a deuce winch for a 5 ton winch if you wanted to keep the m135 together.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take most winches apart, reassembling it with the input drive, where you want it. They are really pretty simple. Install new seals while your at it.

gimpyrobb

Is the C channel welded to the deuce frame? If not, your going to need to add a bunch of bolts! The stock 10k winch uses more than 4 bolts to hold the extensions on, I only see 4 bolts in your pics.

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah its fully welded along every edge. That's big reason for keeping this one lol. Removing all that will be a major undertaking.
I might add more hardware anyways. Never too much hardware.

armyrino

Good evening gentleman. So I have a m35a2. I have the 10k winch installed and I have the pot drive shaft. I do not have the pot and linkage with the control arm that mounts inside the cab. However I do have a complete 20k winch setup with pot, linkage, and the two control arms that go inside the cab from a m818 5ton .my question is can I use the pot and control linkage with control arms for the 10k winch on my deuce? I haven't really looked into it yet. I know the cabs are the same and they both have the manual transmissions. My last deuce had the winch setup in it but I let the pto and controls go with it. It had only a single control arm in it. I know the frame rails are different too. Can I use the 20k winch setup on the deuce without major modification. I'm great with welding and modifications but want to keep the deuce intact without having to weld and so on if that makes sense. Any help would be great.

gimpyrobb

Armyrhino, I will be in your backyard tomorrow!

I doubt the 5ton "pto" setup will work on the deuce trans. You'd be better off selling that set and buying the parts you need.

My5tonparts

I'll trade you winches

I'll trade you the winch that they gave me pretty sure it's what you looking for.
Hello all,
I need the advise of the collective.
My new to me m35 has a 20k winch that the previous owner partially installed.
This thing is massive. The problem for me is size, weight and the fact that the pto is on the wrong side. I can install a high torque planetary gear hydraulic motor to it. But then I have to add pump.
View attachment 676632
View attachment 676633
View attachment 676634
View attachment 676635
View attachment 676636
Or I can remove it and sell it.
Have no idea what it's worth.
And install the 10k garwood thats on my m135 thats in excellent shape and has pto input on xorrect side.
View attachment 676637
What do you all think is the best course of action?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks