• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who loves breaking down tires? (Not me!!)

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I purchased my truck in July, in the bed were four huge crates that had MRAP painted on the sides. I was thinking that the PO had purchased 4 of the Caimen MRAP tires and I would be able to pop them right on (of course after buying the special acorn nut from Hutchinson and the 36 other shouldered lugs). Well, I finally got around to opening up the crates last Monday. Great to see 4 brand new Michelin XZL tires, but disappointed the wheels were not from a Caimen MRAP. That just doubled my workload. I have never broken-down tires this big.

It was a lot of work, removing the 4 new tires and then taking one bad tire at a time off the truck, breaking it down and then installing the new tire. My stepson was a great help (aspiring heavy equipment mechanic and 6' 3" muscle for the breaker bar!). a few hours a day and finished up this afternoon. Took the truck for a spin around the neighborhood and really felt an improved ride in the truck. It was too dark for pictures tonight, but I will throw a few up tomorrow after we finish decorating for the Xmas parade tomorrow night. So now a question for you all, is there any market for the MRAP wheels? They are brand new (internal CTIS system) other than a few marks from a pry bar on the inside of the rim are in perfect condition.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I purchased my truck in July, in the bed were four huge crates that had MRAP painted on the sides. I was thinking that the PO had purchased 4 of the Caimen MRAP tires and I would be able to pop them right on (of course after buying the special acorn nut from Hutchinson and the 36 other shouldered lugs). Well, I finally got around to opening up the crates last Monday. Great to see 4 brand new Michelin XZL tires, but disappointed the wheels were not from a Caimen MRAP. That just doubled my workload. I have never broken-down tires this big.

It was a lot of work, removing the 4 new tires and then taking one bad tire at a time off the truck, breaking it down and then installing the new tire. My stepson was a great help (aspiring heavy equipment mechanic and 6' 3" muscle for the breaker bar!). a few hours a day and finished up this afternoon. Took the truck for a spin around the neighborhood and really felt an improved ride in the truck. It was too dark for pictures tonight, but I will throw a few up tomorrow after we finish decorating for the Xmas parade tomorrow night. So now a question for you all, is there any market for the MRAP wheels? They are brand new (internal CTIS system) other than a few marks from a pry bar on the inside of the rim are in perfect condition.
Getting them off the truck and broken down was not a big issue for me, just time consuming.
It was getting them back together again correctly and putting them back on the truck was a PITA.
I had six wheels/tires, plus the spare on the truck and two other spares to do and by myself. Other then that, a piece of cake 🍰😜.
I hope I never have to do that again 😉

coachgeo

Getting them off the truck and broken down was not a big issue for me, just time consuming.
It was getting them back together again correctly and putting them back on the truck was a PITA.
I had six wheels/tires, plus the spare on the truck and two other spares to do and by myself. Other then that, a piece of cake 🍰😜.
I hope I never have to do that again 😉
VICTIM STATUS lol.... change your outlook ..... when all done YOUR HEEEEEE MANN ready to take on the next challenge :hammer: :ROFLMAO:

Reworked LMTV

I did one recently. Wasn't too bad, but have done 7 in past. Here are my recommendations for this:
1. Call your orthopedist first
2. Use a bead breaker from Amazon
3. Never let tires fall flat on ground, if can be avoided. You can hurt your back badly if you have to pick it up.
4. Do it on a warm day. I have used a heat gun to settle down bead locker rubber or on a cold day.
5. Use Bead Lubricant to release, then Steelman or similar rim / bead sealer. Clean off bead release before applying bead sealer.
6. If you can't split the rim, use a cherry picker
7. Use rust pen. spray on rusted studs AND painted studs (these things get very hot with an impact wrench if you don't)
8. Paint any exposed rim areas with grill paint

* use my advice at your on risk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks