• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whoa Buddy !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why supercharging over turbo? Did you change the compression ratio? Ball park price tag? So many questions!

Looks friggin sweet!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why supercharging over turbo? Did you change the compression ratio? Ball park price tag? So many questions!

Looks friggin sweet!
Hey Gimp - where you been man? Good to hear from you.
I will not answer your first question because it would probably start a firestorm of debate which I have no desire to engage. Your second question, no I didn’t change the compression ratio because there is no need to with this P400. I uh, ahem, assume you know what a P400 is 😜 .

Your third question, yes, you could probably buy a ball park for what this thang is gonna cost. But remember- my daughter will never miss the cash that I am about to shell out for it. After all , it’s her inheritance that I am spending 🤪. If you click on the link you can see the price. The one I’m getting is the 3-V belt model at the bottom. I’ve been back-and-forth with the engineer at Bullet in Australia about all the details.

Everything about the kit will bolt up to my P400. My only concern was whether the CUCV throttle bracket would clear the supercharger snout, but we worked through and solved that issue today. I will still need to fabricate my own fresh air supply and filter but heck that will be easy. Bullet has different diameter snout pulleys to provide different amounts of boost, which is instant and constant by the way. No turbo lag! I’ll probably start off with the 65 mm diameter pulley which will provide 8-11 pounds of boost. If the P400 wants more, I can change the 65 mm to a 70 mm and get 9-14 pounds.

The IP will need to be recalibrated to 250 hp for the 65 mm pulley and 300 hp for the 70 mm. It should be fun playing with it. I am changing from the OEM fuel lift pump to an electric with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge. Bullet also offers a water-to-air intercooler which fits into the manifold under the compressor. It can be added later if necessary by simply dropping it in place and then remote-mounting the radiator and electric pump. The manifold comes already set-up for the intercooler with blank-off plates on the rear for the water fittings.

I’m sending my new DB2 pump back to Huckstorf to have a 31 mm pump plunger and rotary head installed to feed the extra fuel for 250-300 hp. The re-worked pump will satisfy 250 hp but can be turned up to satisfy 300 hp. I’ll just have to get it running and on the road to see where the screw needs to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that an air conditioning compressor mount I see?
Yes. I had already mounted a new Sanden AC compressor prior to discovering the Bullet supercharger. I had set up the compressor to be driven from a custom crankshaft pulley and V-belt. Now that I am going with the supercharger, I will need to change the pulley on the Sanden to a 6-rib belt to piggyback off the Supercharger crank pulley. That is one of the things I had to work out with Bullet. I’ve already received the complete Vintage Air kit to add AC.

Keith_J

Realize at those numbers, that blower is going to consume 25 Hp at 3600 RPM..proportional to engine speed regardless of throttle. Meaning boost when not needed which dilutes part throttle cylinder temperature..
Gasoline engines get away with a blower either with a bypass or having the blower pull through. In the latter, manifold vacuum reduces mass flow so there is no parasitic loss at part throttle.

Turbo engines are throttle linked as they operate off exhaust heat. So boost at part throttle is limited. Turbines with variable geometry are even better as back pressure is minimized.

I'm not saying a blower won't work on a diesel, it just needs a bypass circuit linked to the throttle. Otherwise part throttle flame quench is possible. Instead of rolling coal, you will roll snow ;)

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What injection pump is going to be on there? And how is it managed? Does it come with a stand alone computer, kinda like a transmission controller when doing a 4L80E swap?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What injection pump is going to be on there? And how is it managed? Does it come with a stand alone computer, kinda like a transmission controller when doing a 4L80E swap?
DB2-4811 mechanical pump built by Huckstorf Diesel in Wisconsin. 31 mm plunger and rotary head. Calibrated to 250 hp with capability to up-screw based on engine requirements of the supercharger. No computer. To my knowledge, there has never been a supercharger installed on a P400 engine, so all of this is uncharted water. I plan to abandon the new HMMWV lift pump and install a new AC DELCO electric fuel pump with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge T’d in just before the injection pump to monitor that there is adequate fuel to satisfy the HP requirements. I’m just going to have to get it all together and then get it on the road to see what adjustments will be needed. The whole process will be fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks