• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whos installed HAM Radio's in CUCV's

SSGTUSMC

Looking to see who has installed Ham radios in their CUCV's. I just bought a new Yaesu FT-891(HF-6M) and a Tarheel 75a antenna for the Green Machine. Already have a FT-8800(V/U) in there. But I would like to see some ideas and what everyone else has done. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AntennaClimber or Technoweenie are your SMEs, maybe a few others.

Here's mine. Would like to do a 10 meter radjo but haven't sourced the proper mil antenna yet.

Currently have two Orions, one VHF and the other UHF, and a dual-band antenna.

Attachments

alpine44

I would also be interested about some antenna ideas for 2m and 70cm. Currently thinking about a commercial fender-mounted antenna but using the military side mounts would be nicer.

KI7DVL

m38inmaine

The problem with most all military VHF/UHF antennas is they have 0 or negative gain, for VHF/UHF you should mount a good gain antenna, you can paint it to color match your truck for that military look. I have a Larsen NMO-150 mounted on the center of the metal roof on my M1009, it's factory matt black and you can hardly tell it's there, 3db gain on VHF.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few pictures of the M1009 and the various antennas that have been installed. Some have been replaced with others.

IC7000 and a TMD710G and a Cobra 25 11 meter rig.

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AntennaClimber or Technoweenie are your SMEs, maybe a few others.

Here's mine. Would like to do a 10 meter radjo but haven't sourced the proper mil antenna yet.

Currently have two Orions, one VHF and the other UHF, and a dual-band antenna.
Those radials are a great idea. I may need to try that on my rig.

alpine44

I see these radials a lot on airports. A mast gets the antenna above obstructions like metal hangars and the radials provide the ground plane for the omni rod. If you put the radials near or above the roof line on the CUCV, you should have an undisturbed radiation pattern without having to drill a hole in the metal roof of the cab.

Does anybody have an M1009 antenna holder and brush guard for sale?

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The radials were inspired by the Compactenna, like this one which is the antenna that usually sits on top of the riser. They suggest radials at 70° which is pretty steep.

For the wire antenna I was using an inverted pan I picked up at walmart and painted. More of a flat ground plane.

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+3 dBi. VSWR: <2:1 on the Compact antenna? It's only 7.5 inches long. Really??? 2:1 is a FAIL in my word of antennas. Anything above 1.5 gets fixed.

"provide revolutionary performance in NLOS (Non-Line-Of-Sight) obstructed environments such as behind buildings, in garages, behind other vehicles and in valleys."

That's a pretty bold statement. Have you experienced this in the real world?

Back to radials,
I have found 45 degrees to be a good match. Makes antennas much closer to 50 ohms, I would think that 70 degrees would start to look more like a coaxial style antenna.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+3 dBi. VSWR: <2:1 on the Compact antenna? It's only 7.5 inches long. Really??? 2:1 is a FAIL in my word of antennas. Anything above 1.5 gets fixed.
1.5 is <2:1, no?
That's a pretty bold statement. Have you experienced this in the real world?
I have experienced that the antenna works, and I get good signal reports. 110 watts is helping I'm guessing. ;) It's also the only dual band 'transit' style antenna of which I'm aware.

Back to radials,
I have found 45 degrees to be a good match.
I think 45° would hit the window.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it works and you are happy with the performance, that's all that matters.

I prefer the longer antennas that are closer to 1/4 wavelength (at lower freqs) or larger in the upper bands.

Now if I could just get rid of all that noise at 6 meters in my work truck.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also prefer a long antenna, the longer the better. But, I also like to keep the antenna, not lose it to low branches and such. So I keep a few in the truck- long ones for when I need more reach out in the sticks, and the compact one for around town and in the dense forest.

This forum thread is interesting. Someone asks about the antenna and the bashing overwhelms page one and some of two, until some people that actually own one chime in.

NMO antennas are easy to swap.

Like I said, I wanted a dual band low profile and this was the only option. Right now the right side of the truck is supporting the GoLight, waiting until such a time as I feel like pursuing the 10-11 meter radio option. So many projects/dreams/hair-brained-schemes but so little time and money.

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankenCub

I've got an Icom ID5100 in my truck, head mounted at the dash on this swivel mount I had laying around. The radio itself is mounted behind the seat with a Comet dual band NMO mount antenna on the roof. Which I've already ripped off the roof once. Gotta do something different there, I don't need to be drilling more holes in the roof. The loop in the mast catches tree branches and the extra spring I ordered for it to supposedly make it flexible, is absolutely useless. That spring is just as stiff as the mast.

20170508_115613.jpg
20170508_115518.jpg
20170508_115648.jpg

Last edited:

honda

The radials were inspired by the Compactenna, like this one which is the antenna that usually sits on top of the riser. They suggest radials at 70° which is pretty steep.

Dumb man questions here. What material did you use to make the radials? What are the dimensions? The picture seems to show the radials as painted-coated, Yes? Any idea if the coating/paint had any performance affect? Any comments about radial construction would be very helpful.
Thank-you,
Honda

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dumb man questions here. What material did you use to make the radials? What are the dimensions? The picture seems to show the radials as painted-coated, Yes? Any idea if the coating/paint had any performance affect? Any comments about radial construction would be very helpful.
Thank-you,
Honda
They're aluminum from home depot- in their bulk metals section near the hardware. I think about 1" wide, or slightly less. You have to go slow when bending them because the aluminum will want to crack. I suppose you could heat it up with a torch. I just cut them to length, bent them in the vice by eye, and broke the corners with the bench grinder. Then a coat of self-etching primer and some camo green over that.

Performance effect? I couldn't say. I went by what the antenna manufacturer suggests for a non-vehicular mounting, because the antenna isn't on the roof of the truck- it's sort of out to the side on its own. I don't have access to an antenna tuner of the kind that can do both VHF and UHF. As mentioned, the radio gets out and I can hit repeaters all over western WA. It also looks the part.

I had the idea to add (either above or below the riser) one of the Hummer offset antenna mounts to bring the whole thing up a little higher and either jog it out away from the truck some or jog it more to the rear away from the metal roof. I just haven't found anyone willing to sell me one cheap enough to experiment with, and I don't know how bad it will look with the round riser and the square offset mount.

Last edited:

SSGTUSMC

So This is my current set up on the dash FT-8800, on the rack - FT-2900 ,CB, 2-2m/70cm HT's.
Waiting on the FT891(HF-6M) with the Tarheel 75a to arrive from HRO this week.
I am running a Larson NMO150BK VHF 5/8wipp on the passenger side antenna mount and a CB/HF on the driver side Antenna Mount.
I'm Active in my Local ARES/RACES/SKYWARN and Army MARS. Eastern North Carolina Area.

TRUCK_1.jpgTRUCK_2.jpgTRUCK_3.jpgCUCV Ant 1.jpg

Last edited:

SSGTUSMC

Hey what HF antenna is that?? Looks like a Tarheel and how do you like it mounted there???

CUCV%20Antenna%20Mounts%20004.jpg

I am thinking of doing the same with my Tarheel-75a
Also what did you use for paint I want to do the same It looks awesome !!

Last edited:

SSGTUSMC

That is a Tarheel 75 on a custom made mount. Painted in CARC.

It works great on all the ham bands.

Awesome Thank You!!! Words I wanted to Hear! So the FT-891 and the Tarheel 75a just came in my wife said.... and I am deployed and can't get to install and play with it for a few more months..... Looking forward to the project. I saw that pic of yours a year or two ago and really wanted to do the same!!!

Any tips on installation and grounding ? Or other useful information???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks