• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why convert 24V to 12V

Colcolombo

Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum but not to M38A1's. I have owned two and regrettably
sold both. I live in West Kentucky and am actively seeking that old M38A1 hidden in a barn, covered with plastic, on blocks and with an odometer reading of 3,000 miles.

I would like to start my posting with a question that has long puzzled me. I am not being critical with this question, just curious.

Why would anyone want to destroy a reliable, beautiful system (24V) by converting
it to 12V. This is like replacing a diamond with a zircon. From my experience, a 24V system is far superior and never wears out. It just seems criminal to me to convert to 12V.

Let's hear some answers. Maybe I am missing something.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Unfortunatley my jeeps electrical had been hacked beyond recognition before I got it. I think it is primarily done on the assumption that parts will be easier/cheaper to find. (which may be true if for whatever reason the starter or generator takes a dump) While I do like the 24V setup, the one on my jeep was hacked/destroyed before I bought it and it is not worth the expense of finding/buying all those parts when it will run just as well as a 12V system.

pvtjorge

This is my opinion:
Nothing wrong with the 24volt system. It's just as reliable as any other system what ever the voltage.
Most reason you will find 24 volt systems converted to 12 volts was because the military 24volt components were hard to find back when. I believe since the internet things are easier to find these days.

wbrianiii

I am certain the biggest reason is PRICE. My M-38 was owned by a school district after it was surplussed out, and they converted it to 6V, presumably to use the same parts as some CJ-2s and 3s that they already had. In doing this, they cut every wire off (including grounds), stripped out the entire harness, and rewired from scratch. It was ugly. Now, while I really would like to go back to the original 24V system, and I already have several parts, I'm finding that for about 1/4 the cost, I can go 12V. It is just simple economics.

jimm1009

I have an M38 (not A1) that is missing the 24 volt stuff too.
How hard would it be convert to 12 volts?
I have heard that the 24 volt and 12 volt starter gear and ring gear are the same tooth count where as the 6 volt is different.
This is a rumor so I do not know the difference between the 12 & 24 but am sure about 6 volt.
My secon reason is the really poor planning by Willys-Overland on the 2nd battery tray which is hacked into the right side cowl just forward of the windshield frame.
Every old M38 I've come in contanct with has this area rotted out so with mine, I would remove the battery tray and seal the door shut using an aviation grade sealant to prevent any more water leaks but it would still retain the signature access door onthe cowl for the M38 look.
The rest of the wiring can remain the same for the most part with the obvious bulb replacements, etc.
jimm1009

FrankUSMC

I have been collecting military vehicles for about 30 years and have seen alot of the jeeps converted from 24 volt to 12 volt.
Here are the two big reasons.
1. Price, if you can find a Sears jeep catalog from the 1970s (sears carried EVERY thing for the jeep back then) Look at the price of a 24 volt generator, then look at the price of the 12 volt gererator. If your 24 volt generator went out, you could convert the whole jeep to 12 volt for what the 24 volt gererator would cost.
2. Easy to get parts for 12 volt. Picture this you are on the hunt of a life time in your M38A1, and the generator goes out. Face it, you are not not going to find one in Newport, North Carolina, or any back woods town, USA. You can order one from Sears, but it will take a week before it gets here (we already talked about $$$$ this will cost you). If your jeep was converted to 12 volts, just drop by Billy Bobs garage and tackel shop and you are on your way.
Hope this helps.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

garm

Old thread I know, but this is exactly the information I needed. Leaving my M37 at 24v!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks