• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why does the front axel have a thing on top of it?

shadow

I had to move my tractor yesterday and a buddy of mine noticed the front axle has a thing on top that looks like it would be used to connect it to another axle. I have no idea what it is. I found a pic online of one that looks like mine. What is that thing for?? It has a square flange with 4 holes in it just above the center section.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is on all the axles! All 3 of your axles use interchangeable parts. It (drive flange) is just not used on the front of the front axle. Look under the rear of your truck and you should see one there too!

Jones

So you can use the differential center section (third member) in any axle location. The same assy will fit and work in all axles so you don't have to have a special one for each axle position. The four bolt flange is what the drive shaft bolts to.

M1075

Key word is parts interchange. Especially if you want to convert to 8x8! Or, you can build a "big dumb trailer" and power it like our man Spicergear. You can also use these to add pinion brakes (I have them on my jeep).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's for the baby HEMTT.. I have thought about the possibility of mounting an air conditioner compressor via pulley to that thing. A torque bar mount from a rear axle could be the basis for a mount. Not sure if the drive flange would take a side load. Other uses: spare alternator drive, and of course the hypnotic pinwheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks