• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is the truck leaning on the drivers side?

Chuckanut

Hey guys, I have a m1028 retired forest service truck and I noticed that the driver side is leaning to one side I measured from front to back and it ranges from a half inch all the way up to 1 inch lower than the passenger side and the fuel tank is almost completely empty I’m not sure if this is normal. I’ve checked the leaf spring bushings they all seem ok. Is there a fast way to figure out if your frame is bent? Or if your leaf springs are shot? Or any other theories on why it’s leaning?

thanks guys.
D114DB12-9B3B-41BF-BAF0-A6397014613E.jpegF94906F8-C691-4F57-A03F-9BE264A8A135.jpeg87686F60-4974-466C-AA27-FBB4640C167B.jpeg19206577-EE76-402D-8E45-604A1AE1D3B2.jpeg
The top two pictures are the drivers side and the bottom two are the passenger side.

Last edited:

LT67

A pic from the front would help...

My 86 M1008 has the same issue... and it can be a few things or a combination of:

Sagging springs

Worn out shackle bushings

Damaged shocks

Bent axle housing or knuckle

On mine we installed new rear shackle bushings and shocks which cleared up most of it. The front spring bushings were still good to go, so I'm thinking something is bent. Just haven't pin pointed it yet.

Chuckanut

Tire air pressure? Measure top of front springs to bottom of frame to determine spring sag. Check body bushings. Check axle spring plates and see if there are any shims missing if any? Measure frame to body and see if frame is bent.
The tire pressure is all the same I tried that a few months ago. when I visually look at the frame nothing looks bent both sides of the frame look identical and there are no shims missing from either side I’m going to try measuring for spring sag and get back to you.

Skinny

My M1031 had a massive lean when I bought it. Probably that giant stick welder hanging on one side.

So that truck had 4 new springs 10 years ago and it's starting to sag on the driver side again. It's less than an inch but it's starting.

My Suburban was 2wd and sat straight. I did a 4wd swap and reused the rear springs, fronts were new. This was a couple of years ago. It's doing it to.

I'm starting to think these trucks just do it naturally. I'm sure a shim inserted into the spring pack center bolt would do the trick but don't feel bad if your truck sags.

I highly doubt it has something catastrophically wrong kike a bent frame unless it was in a collision. But your truck looks clean so I doubt it has a saggy cab mount.

I also think having soft lift springs and a rear locker depending on how you park can make the truck bind a tad bit. So if you pull into a spot a certain way it will tend to creep up on one side.

Chuckanut

A pic from the front would help...

My 86 M1008 has the same issue... and it can be a few things or a combination of:

Sagging springs

Worn out shackle bushings

Damaged shocks

Bent axle housing or knuckle

On mine we installed new rear shackle bushings and shocks which cleared up most of it. The front spring bushings were still good to go, so I'm thinking something is bent. Just haven't pin pointed it yet.
I posted some pictures of the rear to me the driver side leaf pack looks not as arched as the passenger side and all the bushings look fine

2INSANE

I would love to get a set of Alcan Leaf Springs some
I posted some pictures of the rear to me the driver side leaf pack looks not as arched as the passenger side and all the bushings look fine
Now you know your problem. Alcan leaf springs are prob the best springs you could ever get if you plan on having the truck forever. A good cheap set of junk yard leaf springs go a long way too if you are on a budget.

LT67

I would love to get a set of Alcan Leaf Springs some

Now you know your problem. Alcan leaf springs are prob the best springs you could ever get if you plan on having the truck forever. A good cheap set of junk yard leaf springs go a long way too if you are on a budget.

Same here, although Alcan springs are not cheap lol

Squibbly

..or you could just ask yourself the question WWCD (What would @cucvrus Do)?
He'd use some damn crowbars as leaf springs, like a man with a spine made of steel, and a belly full of rage, while he drives around on his wooden bench seat. That's what. Lol 😂

Last edited:

Squibbly

She did lots of work, ridden hard, overloaded and put away wet so to speak
m1028 retired forest service truck
You will find the problem and repair that, then go on to all the other things You must fix.
Make a priority list.
My pops use to say "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Every project I get, I use that same approach, and ask myself when the day is done "It is more done today than it was yesterday?"
As long as each day the answer to that is 'yes' no matter how little you were able to do (anything is better than nothing), it'll eventually get done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks