• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will a 5 ton lds intall to a deuce

ncduece

i understand the engine will go right in.The question i have will the clutch and pressure plate from the 5 ton mate right up to the deuce transmission? anything else i should know if i do this swap. how does the lds preform in a deuce?

derby

I do not know about the 5ton clutch, the spline may be differant. I know some members here have that engine, maybe they will pipe up? DH? SS? I have heard of smoking the tires in pavement with it!

tm america

it has been done several times. i would think you would need to use the clutch disk from the deuce but they might be the same spline.you have to use the bell housing adapter from the five ton and it puts the starter on the driver side to make room for the bigger turbo

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I will have your answer after this weekend, if no-one post up before then. Getting ready to swap out an LDS for an LDT to get my wrecker back on the road.

tm america

it depend on which lds you are talking about .the lds 465 has a waste gate turbo that wont clear the starter being on the pass side the lds427 has a turbo very similar to the one on the deuce and will clear the starter just fine.they run different turbos on motors that shouldnt have had them . i should have said if your lds has the big turbo you will need to have the starter on the driver side

tm america

gimpy that must feel wierd going the wrong way with that one:?:swapping for less power never makes for a happy test drive:cry: but you gotta do what you gotta do to get it going again

tm america

from what i have seen and read that turbo wont clear the starter being on the pass side thats why you have to use the 5 ton bell housing adapter and run the starter on the driver side

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an LDS in my m35 and it uses a Dturbo. It has plenty of power. Since you would have to mod the wiring harness to make a driver's side starter work, I'd pop in the deuce bell adapter and run a C or D turbo with the starter where it should be.

tm america

get you a lds427 turbo .thats what i have on my deuce it makes the most boost of any turbo that will fit with the starter still on the pass side .i'm getting 27 psi of boost on my ldt.:-D:-D

jesusgatos

I'm making plans to go pick up an LDS for Mah Deuce later this month. I don't think this new engine has a wastegate turbo on it, and I've got a brand new D-series turbo that Ken ported for me. So unless I want to add a wastegate turbo, the LDS is a straight bolt-in? This just reminded me that I forgot all about the thread I started a while ago, asking about adding an external wastegate to C & D-series turbos.

tm america

if you go with the waste gate turbo you will have to mod the exhaust to .but there is a big power differ between the waste gate turbo and the others. the waste gate turbo makes more boost down lower in the rpm range giving you more torque.and better drivabilty even though it is limited to less overall boost then might be possible with the lds 427 turbo.the c and d turbo are kind of limited to around 13-15 psi before the get the egt up over 1200

tm america

gimpy do you have a pyro on your deuce with the lds.i wonder if there is much difference between the egt and boost with the c turbo on a lds vs an ldt.obviously the lds will hold up better with better piston cooling .but they are the same size engine run at similar rpms the turbo controls a good amount of the air flow and can restrict the exhaust .i wonder how much of a perfromance increase there is running a smaller turbo on the lds?i know it would be worth the swap either way cuz of the increase in durabilty. but if it were up to me i would run the five ton adapter and go with the waste gate turbo to get the most from the swap .wires are easy to work with

Alredneck

Banned
Its wierd this thread has started, Gimp and I were talking about this same thing on the phone the other day. I been trying to figure if it is more worthwhile to swap a LDS into my lil red tractor or just swap injectors, pump, and turbo from my none running LDS onto my LDT. Whoever does this please take pics so we can see some of the lil details that make things a pain.

tm america

i think it would be better to run the lds since it has more rings per piston, one more oil cooling injector per piston, and lower compression so it can take more air- fuel and will hold up better .you can porbably get the same power from a ldt but it wont be as durable

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i understand the engine will go right in.The question i have will the clutch and pressure plate from the 5 ton mate right up to the deuce transmission? anything else i should know if i do this swap. how does the lds preform in a deuce?
No, the 5ton MF will not go right in, for many reasons....

....but it can easily be converted using some 2.5ton MF-parts, to perfectly fit in a Deuce. That is: get the oil pick-up and cross-over tubes for the oil pump from any 2.5ton model MF and swap them out, then flip oil pan and dipstick position, use the 2.5ton bell-housing + adapter ring, a 2.5ton flywheel + clutch and disc, and the spacer for the starter motor. Any model MF turbo will work fine.

Do this simple conversion (like the military did!); it is well worth your time and the difference in performance is very noticeable! :grin:

(We have discussed conversion details many times in the past, just can't find some old posts this time...:-x)

G.

Reactions: emr

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TmA: oil pan is the same for all, only the deep sump goes to the front for Deuce application.
(Maybe that's what you meant to say...:))

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks