• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch not functioning

Triple C

The winch on my 925 is not functioning. I have read the tm's searched the threads and found lot's of great information. When I took the plate off of the tower in the cab, I found the cable that engages the PTO unhooked. I suspect it was unhooked because of a different problem because when I hooked it up, it still didn't work. I had a hard time getting the clutch to engage but the threads helped. I tapped the clutch lever and got it to move down toward the frame rail, about 3 inches of movement. Still didn't work so I looked under the truck at the pto found the cable is way out of line with the shaft it hooks to (see photo.) Can anyone tell me by looking at the photo if it tells you anything? I am thinking I need to disconnect it and see if I can get the pto shaft to move in or out. If I can get that done it is probably an alignment issue right?pto.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not the PTO in the pic. That's a pic of the control valve. The cable looks in bad shape and the spool looks awfully rusty. I'd clean up the exposed part of the spool as good as I could before you try and move it.

The PTO will be attached to the side of the trans. Does it work?

Triple C

Thanks for the correction, I thought it looked bad too. It does not appear to be working. I will try to clean it up this weekend, if the weather cooperates. Do you know, if that valve should pull out or go in? As I recall, when I move the control lever to engage, it pushes the cable which should move the valve in. I didn't look at it again after I moved the lever to disengage. I will do that as well. I also noticed the cable seems way out of line with the center line of the valve, do you know if that is normal or maybe a poor repair? I can cut that support off and fix that if need be.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The control valve move in and out. If I remember pull the shaft out to move the winch in and push the valve in to run the winch out.
I am guessing the valve in frozen in place. Also you may need a new cable.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if the PTO is turning I assume the valve is in the middle position (hold). It should go in or out from there. As rusty as the end of the spool is you should try to pull it out first so you can clean all the rust off. If you push it in with all that rust there you're going to have more problems. Put a pry bar on there and see if you can get it to come out.

If you get it out and the part that comes out is as rusty as the exposed part in the pic, you're probably going to need a new valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks