• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Replacement

mattrains

When I picked up my HMMWV from GP it had a cracked drivers windshield. I've called around and looked online and no one will replace an H1 windshield? Even the Civ version?? Anyone with experience in this? Should I just get a piece of glass cut and put it in myself? I would assume it's the same process as a Civ H1, what are they doing when they bust a windshield?

Sorry if this is a noob question but they last thing I thought would be a hassle is the WS?

papakb

I had mine replaced years ago by a local glass shop. The job is pretty easy but you need to make sure they have the right thickness in stock. There were different thicknesses depending on the model of your truck. Just remove the retaining brackets and push the old one out of the frame. Remove the rubber surround and take the piece to a glass shop. When I reinstalled mine I used silicon sealer around the glass itself and between the rubber and the frame.

BTW, We're here to answer noob questions. because we learned a lot of this stuff the hard way doesn't mean everyone has to.

Kurt

Mike82ndABN

I know this doesn't apply to your cracked windshield, but to anyone with a pretty fogged up dull windshield... I used rubbing compound, then polishing compound, on a buffer for about 10 minutes and was able to get the windshield to clear up a lot. I finished up with a ceramic stove top cleaner (very fine abrasive). My driver windshield looks like new and the passenger side is about 95% perfect, I couldn't see through the passenger windshield at all when I bought the truck.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can undo like 10 screws and remove the retainer ...they just pop out. You can have a new piece done at any glass shop. Install is reverse...but done force it near any edges...lube up the seal with wd40.

I am doing my passenger side this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I have a new piece of glass and new seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks