• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring harness install question

rlsnide

I am installing harness 11677081 which is the late model harness on the LDT465 and everything hooked up correctly. The new harness has 2 connectors the old harness did not have. The wires come out around the same spot as the wires for the horn circuit breaker and the dimmer switch wiring on the engine side of the fire wall. They are male connectors marked 74A 74B. I looked Through the military number identification numbers and it says that 74 is related to the starter circuit but no information on the 74A and 74B. If anyone could tell me what these are for or what they go to I would appreciate it. Thanks

Barrman

If you pull your air filter canister out you will see all the wires around the starter. 74B is supposed to be the wire going to the solenoid to activate the starter. 74A is supposed to go into the fuel cutoff solenoid that the other end of 74B goes into. The other end of 74A is the red button starter switch inside the truck. That is what the manual wiring diagram shows.

I did my front harness a year or so ago and don't remember that issue because none of the M35, M35A1 or M35A2 trucks that I am aware of had a fuel cutoff solenoid. If you have a 74A wire going from your red push button to the plug you are posting about and a wire from that plug to your starter solenoid. Then I guess you just need to jump that connections on that plug to verify all is well. Getting proper military Packard connectors and cutting out the plug with adding them in place for the splice would be the best looking fix in my opinion.

rlsnide

Thanks a lot Barrman. Yes I seen the fuel shutoff solenoid on the drawing but in the drawing it’s listed as 74R so I didn’t know but yes on of the solenoid connectors is 74A. And I was kind of thinking about jumping them if it doesn’t crank when I’m ready. I guess I could just put an extra circuit breaker up there to tie those into?? It’s the remote trigger wire so it shouldn’t have much if any draw on it anyway. Man this has turned out to be some job doing front and rear harness and tying everything back up factory. I was like most others that have done this, almost all the bolts just spun holding the wires up so I took an air chisel and knocked most them off anyway.

Barrman

The front harness is a tremendous work out. All of the bolts are too high to get if laying flat and I can’t sit all the way up under the truck. So it turns into one long continuous crunchy.

rlsnide

You are very correct I knew it would be work but it was worse than expected. Three knots on top of the old crown, two gouges on the spine from the corners of the fuel tank brackets and several busted knuckles I’m done. I’m going to try to crank it tomorrow and if it doesn’t I’m going to tie those two wire together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks