• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin MV LIFETIME License Plate Fee REDUCED To $5

undysworld

It used to be real easy finding people who disliked our DOT, but it's getting harder and harder... :)
Word arrived today that the cost to register for the Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle (HMV) License Plate has now dropped to
$5.

Nope, that's not a misprint. After the sale of the 11,000th HMV plate, the cost of registration dropped to $5, as per the original bill. ​WOW!! FIVE U.S. DOLLARS for a lifetime registration which allows for occasional personal use (but NO commercial use), and has no payload restriction, so long as you have an unmodified military vehicle.

Here's a link to Wisconsin Statute 341.269, which gives the specifics of this type of registration.
Read about the change here: Article in Military Trader

Just to give credit where credit is due, we have WisDOT's Atty. Paul Nilsen to thank for this sweet deal. He directed the Legislative Reference Bureau to draft the original HMV law back in 2007-8. He and I were both present at the Senate Transportation Committee Chairman's office, when he pushed for passage of that law. (Turns out, he got exactly what he asked for.)

Later, when Tom Zat and I approached DOT about legislation in 2012, they offered some legislation that they had prepared which included allowances for personal use and for storing parts vehicles. We didn't back their bill because it took away some other privileges, but we did pluck the better sections from their bill and used them. We succeeded in passing what WisDOT had written.

The result is this nation's most generous motor vehicle registration law (at least that I've heard of), and every word of it was penned by WisDOT.

Cheers all! :beer:

DavidB

Now Tom and you are saving the hobby again by hosting the Central Wisconsin Military Show. Keep at it, we all are glad for your work and valued time.
THANKS AGAIN!
DavidB

undysworld

Now Tom and you are saving the hobby again by hosting the Central Wisconsin Military Show. Keep at it, we all are glad for your work and valued time.
THANKS AGAIN!
DavidB
Thanks, and you're welcome. But Tom's the true genius behind the show, and his wife Dale gets second credit. I'm just glad to be helping them out.
Thanks to all of you who came, because it's not really a party until people show up! I can't wait until next year!
Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks