• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wmo centrifuge and filters?

pigpen60

if your using a centrifuge to clean wmo is there any need to use other filtration? i can see a course filter/sock to get the chunkies when you first get it but wouldnt the cent. get everything else? tried to search for the answer but have no clue how to frase? it. pigpen60

dmetalmiki

I used to use a centrifuge, it was a lot of faffing arround. I now filter through interchangable sock filters. and the result is filtration down to 1 (one!) micron. is that clean enough or what, And it is a lot less fuss and cheaper to set up. Using this method filters 1000 ltrs. in 10 hors. (unsupervised. (dropping down from one full cbc to another cbc at ground level)). look up oilybits.com all the stuff I use comes from stateside and you are allready there!.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If I were to do it, I'd filter in the 150 micron region and the run it through the fuge.

Everything is dependant. How dirty the oil is, how many times you run the oil through, how many times you clean the fuge bowl, how big the bowl is, how fast it spins, etc.

The nice thing about a fuge, you don't have to spend money on a lot of filters, you just clean it.

Beyond Biodiesel

I used to use a centrifuge, it was a lot of faffing arround. I now filter through interchangable sock filters. and the result is filtration down to 1 (one!) micron. is that clean enough or what, And it is a lot less fuss and cheaper to set up. Using this method filters 1000 ltrs. in 10 hors. (unsupervised. (dropping down from one full cbc to another cbc at ground level)). look up oilybits.com all the stuff I use comes from stateside and you are allready there!.
Most of the waste oil based fuel I make is made from WVO, and I thinned it with gasoline, then settled it for a week, then filtered it down to 1-micron with a series of filters. That method worked great for WVO blends.

Then, I started experimenting with WMO through the same setup and method, but the injectors in my 6.2L coked badly, and I found my fuel tank had a lot of fine sediments in it. So, I bought a centrifuge. I found that the centrifuge would remove a large amount of fine sediments after the fuel had passed through a 1-micron bag filter.

So, I think WMO should be centrifuged to avoid trouble; and I agree, if you are going to centrifuge WMO blends, then first filtering the blend through a 150-micron screen, is probably all you will need, but you will most probably need multiple passes through the centrifuge to completely remove the fine sediments.

pigpen60

so warm it up or add rug and settle, filter and run or fuge it and run. but filtering before fuge is still advised. am i understanding correctly? pigpen60

Beyond Biodiesel

so warm it up or add rug and settle, filter and run or fuge it and run. but filtering before fuge is still advised. am i understanding correctly? pigpen60
After making my own diesel fuel for 7 years, I would not bother with heating any waste oil prior to processing. I find I just add gasoline at 20% to any waste oil. Leave it to settle for at least a week, then pour off the light blend, leaving the thick sediments behind, then filter and/or CF it.

pigpen60

when i worked for a local man. we filtered the vac. pump oil to remove the crap that was the equivalent of blow by in an engine. if we didnt the pump would lockup in the middle of a run. well when we pulled the filter cart to replace the filter we sucked the cart out into a drum replace the filter and refill and reinstal. the oil in the drum was heated and recirculated and once every so often we had to replace the drum due to crap settling out. not saying to heat or not to heat, just an obersvation? pigpen60

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks