• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougar's M925A1 Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

WARNING: LOTS OF PICS AND WAY TOO MUCH DETAIL.When I do a thread like this, I basically use it as my build diary. So lots of nonsense details that no one would otherwise be interested in. I like to look back on my builds to see what I did. So forgive me for the rambling on with some of my future posts. You've been warned!!!

On 02JAN13, I made the small journey to JBLM to pick up my highly anticipated M925A1. Going into it, I was a bit nervous as I didn’t get a chance to start her up and idle her. I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to inspecting a potential GL purchase. It is not uncommon for me to spend at least 40 minutes on one truck. I go over them and inspect everything I can. During this particular Event, I made 2 trips to JBLM to inspect the 16 M939 series trucks. I had my heart set on a M925 ,but if things went as they previously did with the past auctions, then I’d be settling on a M923A0. Up to this point, theM925A1’s I have been after have sold well past the $6000 mark (not includingfees/taxes).
The week prior, an M925A1, of similar condition/mileage/hours/accessories, sold for $7400!!! After this utter defeat,I pretty much gave up on the elusive M925 and was ready to pick up a non-winched & non-super singled truck. Heck, I was ready to buy one without a cargo cover. So much so, I bought a 5 ton cargo cover kit from a fellow SS (wheelspinner) in preparation of a win for an "undesirable" truck. I figured a bare bones M939 would go cheaper than one with accessories. Plus I had to make haste, as my wife knew I had $6500 saved and mentioned it a few times. Now when I say mentioned, it was typically after discussing a bill that had come up or if something needed to be purchased. I was in survival mode and had to secure something before it was spent on something non-MV. GL was my solution and it needed to be quick. Desperate times call for desperate measures;-) (I know I’m terrible)
So here I was. I had my $6500 cash ready to throw down on a truck that I had saved up for the past 5 months. My cash was saved up from buying and selling various military parts and lights I bought off of Craigslist. I disciplined myself to save up, rather than buy the truck on credit and struggle to figure out how I was going to pay for it. I passed up several trucks when EUC’s were still required for the M939 series trucks. As it would happen, the drop of the EUC’s caused the M939 bids to skyrocket. So much so, my now measly $6500 wouldn’t cover the final prices on the trucks with tax and fees included. I was a bit frustrated but decided to keep at it. Then came Event 11360. None of the trucks really caught my eye, as I was after a nice and clean Red RiverArmy Depot Truck w/fresh CARC etc. In this auction, there was but two RRAD trucks.The M925A1 RRAD truck had too many issues for me (3 flats, broken throttle cable, no troopseats, peeling paint, dead batteries, jerry rigged fording kit).The other RRAD truck was an M923A0. It was in really nice shape. I decided I’d go after this truck.
While inspecting, I looked at the row of trucks in the rear. One truck caught my eye and made me chuckle (ended up being the truck I won). I chuckled at the driver’s name stenciled on the windshield “SPC COLON”. I thought, oh gees that poor dude probably really got harassed by his fellow soldiers. I decided that was sign I didn’t want this truck. I decided to take a look at her anyways. First thing I noticed was she had really low juice in the batteries. So much so, I just got a click when I tried to fire her off. Plus she had two flats in the passenger drive tires (only odd ball tires on the whole truck). The flat tires were Michelin X. The other tires were all Goodyear AT/2A's. Also, she was yellow tagged as having a broken coolant reservoir bracket and leaking exhaust manifold. I peeked under the hood to find a brand new coolant reservoir and what appeared to simply be loose manifold bolts…easy fix. I could see there was a little black exhaust soot around one of the joint between the engine and exhaust manifold. Got to be a cracked gasket or loose bolts. Plus I thought the truck would go for a ton because she had super singles, winch, hardtop, new cargocover, and new CARC job.
Bidding day came and found my #1 choice (RRAD M925A1) went above $5000, #2 choice (RRAD M923A0) went above what I wanted to pay, and my #4 choice (Colon truck) wasn’t having much activity on her. I threw down my last bid and it went uncontested until closing;-) I was at work just staring patiently at my phone waiting for it to do the 60 second refresh. I know you guys do the samething! You wait for the refresh and hope the truck you’re after still shows Green. The last minute probably sounded like I was watching the close to a football game. Where your team is down on the 5 yard line ready to punch the ball in during the closing seconds of the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]. Needless to say, I let out a loud "Ooorah!!!" at the closing second.
On Christmas Eve, I made the drive up to JBLM to check out my newly won M925A1 and found the Logistics Gate was closed. Then it dawned on me…Federal Holiday! More than likely DRMO was off and the yard would be CLOSED! Oh well, I might was well try. I already drove the 62 miles to get here…what’s another 2 miles. I arrived at GL’s building to find all the usual GL employee cars parked out front. That was a good sign. I went inside and was told the yard was closed. Having been to GL at least once every 2-3 weeks, the GL office person smiled and said I could go into the yard. I was able to look my truck over and used another truck to air up the flat tires. Lurking in the cargo bed,I found the gov’t was nice enough to leave 1 stave, 1 bow corner, 2 pallets, 2r ubber oil pans, 1 metal tire chock, 1 rubber tire chock, and 3 new Scepter 5 gallon fuel cans. Of which, 1 can was full of JP8;-) Anyways, I hoped there would still be air in the tires when I go back to recover the truck. I said aclosing prayer and left.

Recovery Day -1

Got my ¾ ton Cummins Dodge Ram loaded up my recovery tools and parts. Here’s what I brought in no particular order:
-Paper Items:
-M939 Operator’s TM
-WA State 3 day trip permit
-State Farm Insurance card from my M923 (covered 1 month w/new vehicle purchases)
-2 Copiesof Paid In Full Invoice for GL (one in case they don’t have mine and one for GL to sign to initiate my temporary State Farm Insurance)
-Parts:
-Spare Goodyear AT/2A (Thanks Ray! You the man!)
-Cummins Fuel Shut Off Solenoid
-M939 Black Control Box
-Wiper Blades
-Spare Headlight
-Fuel Filter
-Brake Caging Bolts
-Tools:
-RoboImpact24v Wrench w/sockets
-Breaker bar 4 ft
-Slave Cable 20’
-Glad-hand Air Hose
-BottleJack w/wood blocks
-Tire Lug Wrench w/Breaker Bar
-Emergency Triangles (DOT requirement more than anything)
-100 MPHTape (everyone needs a roll or two)
-Flashlight
-FireExtinguisher
-Tire PressureGauge
-IR Temperature Gun
-TireChocks
-Fluids:
-25 Gallons Diesel
-Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner
-Rotella T 15/40 Gallon Jug
-Distilled Water (Coolant and battery)
-ATF
-PB Blaster, Brake Cleaner,
-Misc:
-BIBLE
-Rags
-Bungie Cord
-Heavy Duty Tow Rope (Stryker Vehicle)
-Zip Ties
-Camera (Iknow how much you guys love your pics;-) )
-Droid BeltClip to use fasten to windshield (speedometer;-) )
-Walkie Talkies (comms b/w me and chase vehicle)
-Sunglasses

Recovery Day(02JAN13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gnDiMvajA

Well, as many head to work for the New Year, I head to Joint Base Lewis McChord to pick up my anticipated winning. Originally, I scheduled pickup for 03JAN13 morning with work starting at 12:00 Noon. Well, as things would have it, my work had an opening for a pharmacist to take vacation. So, planning for the worst, I decided to take the week off to tend to any unforeseen issues that make spring up during recovery. Plus with everyone having new insurance prescription plans and formulary changes, I really didn’t want to deal with all the busy work associated with this;-). The earliest I could pickup was 02JAN13 as the GL yard guy, Tony, would be back from vacation. I got a bit of a later than usual start due to my 6 month old daughter’s 6 month check up appt. Any time my kids have a shot appt, I go to their appt’s. So on recovery day, I would be at the doctors at 0900 hrs, then head up to GL right thereafter (74mile trip). Everything worked out as my chase driver, John, lives 1 mile from my daughter’s appointment.
The trip to JBLM was uneventful. The trip was great in that it allowed my chase driver, John, to get use to driving my pickup truck. Turnsout he has never driven a diesel and never drove a 6 speed manual. No big deal, but one less thing to worry about. Turns out the weather was outstanding. It was clear and COLD! The whole trip was a steady 31-34 degrees. Nevertheless, as many who know me, know Iwear shorts no matter the weather;-). I dug out my recovery shorts the night before (yes I have a pair of shorts I wear on my recoveries). Been wearing themon all my recoveries since my first one back in 2008. Albiet, I think the dryer temp has been increased. They feel a bit tighter than from what I remember…hahaha.
Anyways, on my way up to JBLM, I was looking out for AaronW in his M931A2. When I got down into the Nisqually Valley,what do I see? A nice looking M925A1 heading southbound I-5. Now if I wasn’t already excited, the M925A1 sighting really got me going. All of a sudden my 60 MPH pickup truck accelerated to 70 MPH.
We got to JBLM in good order, arrived at GL around 1115 hrs and quickly went out to my truck to get her ready. I immediately noticed the two tires were still holding air…whew! However, they were a little bit low. There were already a few other guys picking up their trucks. I immediately located a truck with good batteries and fired her up to jump my truck (that coldblooded NHC250 didn't want to start on the slave truck). My once nervousness now got worse as I attempted to fire off my truck. After 5-10 seconds on the starter, she immediately fired up and maintained an even idle. My once nervous anticipation was now a huge smile on my face. Thank you God!!!! I did another look over and everything looked good to me…with one exception however.The darn ABS light continued to be lit and just stared me in the face. I knew at this point my drive home would be at 40 MPH. I found out quickly why theM939’s got the ABS MWO. While in the shaded icy area at 15 MPH, the brakes locked right up with a subtle tap on the brake pedal. She did the same thing in a gravel area and wet pavement. My once honeymoon “Got a new truck” attitude turned to a “Oh crap,you better pay close attention and drive defensively”. I did notice the brakes weren’t as touchy as the drive progressed. We left GL around 1330 hrs and made the drive home. I did one safety stop to look things over. The hubs were cold to the touch and the pumpkins were all at 84 degrees. I did discover one pleasant thing with this truck. She maintained 50 MPG while negotiating hills. My M923 would bog down to 35 MPH up the same hill! The motor is one strong runner and I am very pleased with how she shifter. I didn’t get the harsh downshift to first gear like my other M923.
I got her home and shut her down. Then needing to move my truck I went to restart her and......click,click,click. So I pulled out my 50 ft slave cable and slaved her off my M923. She wasn't hooked up no more than 30 seconds and she fired up. Thinking I have one bad battery in the lot. Going to test each battery tomorrow with my voltmeter.
I backed my truck into my "5 ton"designated area. Wow! I only have inches to spare. She was meant to go there:)

Information regarding this truck:

Organization:
14TH ENGINEER BATTALION, FSC, LBE

WA

Though rattle canned over, you can make out 555E 14E on the rear of the truck. This is the 555th Engineer Brigade (Combat Engineer Bridge) AKA Triple Nickle

GL ad: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5898946&convertTo=USD

Plans for the truck:
I am going to completely gut out the cab and start from the ground up. I am going to get rid of the nasty brown floor insulation pad. Beerslayer has a nice green one enroute to me. The hardtop also needs some tending too. Seems the hardtop looked like a park bench for soldiers to sit on -or- maybe they thought it was a trampouline. I'm not sure but the center is caved in about an inch or two. I plan on using a bottle jack and a post to push the hardtop back into shape. Also, I am going to replace the hardtop foam with the foam sleeping pad material. Seems the old foam is resident to many varieties of moss and mold. Also going to do the interior with the Behr CARC 383 Substitute using my trusty Wagner Power Sprayer. May need to wait for the weather to get a bit better.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Recovery Pics

Recovery pics: 02JAN13

1- Truck loaded up with recovery parts (Thanks again for the tire Ray!)
2- More expensive easy to grab parts in the cab
3- Slaving my truck off w/my chase driver John on standby
4- Still slaving my truck
5- Putting John to work. As I watched on, John put 25 gallons of diesel into the tank w/Lucas fuel injector cleaner
6- Ready to head out
7- The drive home. Going through the Black Hills
8,9- Made it home

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Were you able to air the tires? or did you have to change one or two? Great looking truck! Doing a recovery sometimes seems like a National Geograhpic adventure.

Amer-team

Mike, when I was redirected, I missed your narrative. Have read it and the questions are answered. Way to go team. I spent most of the afternoon trying to adapt an older metal air wiper to the M54 only to get it going and the nut is not holding the wiper arm like it should. The motor works fine so will attempt a JB weld fix on the end of the shaft.

Danger Ranger

I feel like Im late to the party. Well done, and thanks for the thread. I love the detail you put into them. It is great to see a plan laid out and executed.

What is it they say in "Where the Red Fern Grows", If you do your half, He will do the rest. ?

I am definitely gonna watch this one develop as your project goes on. Good luck!

plumkrazy

It is a pleasure to watch a CRAFTSMAN do his thing! Plus all the nifty ideas.

Regards and THANK YOU for your service.

Allen
61D20 1970-1972

Artisan

LOVE IT! Mike! Even got to see a pic of Mr Mike! (nice SHORTS! HA! )

Very cool...I enjoyed that... My recovery didn't get a write, my Iphone CRASHED
and all pics were lost, kinda took the wind out my sails...oh well.

Did you figure out the ABS light issue yet?

I would like the number of the ABS Module you spoke of Mike, sounds like
something I need to throw in the parts bag...

COLON? Were gonna have to think about this and and come up w/ a fitting
name for SPC Colons old wheels... :)

Sub'd in!

wsucougarx

Oil Change

I spent today unloading my tools and parts out of the chase vehicle and the M925A1. First order of business was an oil change. So nothing too exciting to report on today. Before starting on this project, I wanted to make sure she's mechanically sound. No sense starting an extensive project if the foundation of the truck is no good. Everything looked great! I let the oil drain for 3 hours and inspected the oil for any bits of metal or anything out of the ordinary. Inspection of the magnetic drain plug showed no signs of metal pieces either. Before putting the drain plug on, I put my finger into the hole to drawn some remaining out to see if there were any shavings etc...nothing. Then I shined my small maglite with a fiber optic wand extension into the hole...good to go. I don't typically do this with every oil change, just the first one. I filled the crankcase up with my usual Rotella T 15/40 with 1 gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Plus it made sense to put a Fleetguard Filter on a Cummins Engine. It's that darn purist thing coming out in me again;-) I found a great deal on the Fleetguard Oil Filters on ebay for $3 each (they have the gasket and o ring included!)

Projects Completed:
Crankcase oil and Filter change (Rotella T 15/40 & Lucas Oil Stabilizer)

Pics:
1- Magnetic Drain Plug- whew! No metal pieces
2- The long tedious oil drain....3 hours later
3- Yep
4- Once I get a gallon of oil in the truck, I use a knife to cut the bottom of the jug off. Instant funnel! I have funnels but I never store them correctly and have to spend a few minutes cleaning when I go to use them. My remedy
is to make a field funnel.
5- Love it when the filter canister drain plug is oriented so you can't use it...NOT!

Attachments

Last edited:

SandmanZuker

Glad the recovery went well for you. I'm looking forward to see everything you do. I'm sure that I'm going to learn a lot tips and tricks from this project to help me when I start mine!!!

Thank you for the opportunity!!!!

Artisan

I so hate being a noob but if I do not ask Q's I remain dumb...
With my truck being 1200 miles away ( I might change that) it is no help...

Mike,

Am I correct that the oil filter housing is the cylindrical deal I have
a yellow arrow on and the drain for said is what I have the yellow arrow
pointing to?

oil-filter-housing.jpg

...and if I may ask..., Why are you partial to the Lucas Oil Additive?

Regards,

The SPONGE

wsucougarx

I so hate being a noob but if I do not ask Q's I remain dumb...
With my truck being 1200 miles away ( I might change that) it is no help...

Mike,

Am I correct that the oil filter housing is the cylindrical deal I have
a yellow arrow on and the drain for said is what I have the yellow arrow
pointing to?

View attachment 402317

...and if I may ask..., Why are you partial to the Lucas Oil Additive?

Regards,

The SPONGE
Hey Brad, yes that's the oil filter canister. I use Lucas in all my MV's. I started using Lucas because the lack of driving my truck. The Lucas stuff is so sticky and tacking that it'll stick to everything. Thus reducing dry starts. I have notice it really quiets the diesel down and reduces the cold start knock in my deuces. Plus many guys involved with heavy duty machine operation (logging equipment, log trucks etc) use this stuff religiously. It's about $33/gallon but well worth it in my books;-). Just a peace of mind.

wsucougarx

Battery/No Start Issue Troubleshooting

Today, top of the list was to figure out what was going on with my batteries. During my aformentioned GL inspection trips on this truck, I noticed the words "Always need jump" sharpied on the plastic envelope that houses the DRMO turn in slip. I figured the batteries must be dead and needed replacement and accepted that. During my recovery from GL, I went and grabbed a truck with good volts to slave off my truck. In the process of starting the slave truck, it took 5 minutes to turn her over due to the cold weather (32 degrees). I didn't think I had enough battery to sustain the long bouts of hitting the starter switch. So, I thought it was going to be one heck of a chore to get my truck to slave off. Not only did I have a truck with bad batteries, but this nice cold blooded NHC250 wasn't going to fire off in a timely matter. So after 5 minutes of slaving my truck, Tony (GL yard guy) said to try it. I tried it and she started within 10 seconds. I thought that was weird and totally unexpected. Oh well, I figured whatever issues were going on were now cured. So I idled my truck for about 30 minutes before heading out. The drive home was about 80 minutes. So I figured after 110 minutes of running the truck the batteries would be fully charged up. After pulling into the driveway, I shut her off and quickly noticed I didn't back far enough into my driveway. I had 3 ft of truck out in the road. I jumped into the truck no more than 30 seconds after shutting her down. I hit the starter and......click, click,click,click.:shock:. My chase driver and I pushed her back the 3 ft. Man, did I mention this is one heavy truck?:|. I was scratching my head at this point. I got my M923 fired up and slaved her off. The M925 started right up.
So today I tackled the issues with the batteries. I first checked the total volts with the truck sitting. It showed 24.4 volts across the board. I then checked each battery cell for water level and found several needed water. Then I went through and checked each cell with a hydrometer for a dead cell. I was convinced one battery had to be bad with the issues I was having. Nope, all the cells checked out....now what? I figured since I was in the battery box, I might as well clean all the terminals. It was on the second battery that I noticed the jumper cable was loose. Upon further investigation, I noticed the contact point between the copper battery terminal and the lead terminal was basically gone. The big gap caused so much arcing that it just melted the lead away to the point where contact was no longer made. I replaced the terminal and hit the starter.....Ooorah!!! She started.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks