WTB: NP241c transfer case

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking for a rebuildable NP241c transfer case 32-spline with mechanical speedometer configuration. These units would have been available in the late 1980's in Chevys with TH400 transmissions. Cash in hand.

Thanks.

Mike Gresham
Paris, Kentucky

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I may have one. Gimme a few days to get to the barn and verify. It will be new if its the right one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is not what you wanted, sorry. Its an np242amg. I believe it to be from a hmmwv.

cucvrus

I am looking. I have access to a few old Chevy's. The question on these transfer cases is " Can that nylon gear be added to the tail shaft to make it compatible to cable drive speedometer or is the whole transfer case different? I changed them gears in the past on NP 208 TC and never ventured to take a 241C apart to look. It would only require removing the tail shaft housing to look. I have a TH400 with an NP205 ready to roll. And I will have to look at my friends pile of parts. But that would be a $250-$300. used transfer case. Should I investigate further?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking. I have access to a few old Chevy's. The question on these transfer cases is " Can that nylon gear be added to the tail shaft to make it compatible to cable drive speedometer or is the whole transfer case different? I changed them gears in the past on NP 208 TC and never ventured to take a 241C apart to look. It would only require removing the tail shaft housing to look. I have a TH400 with an NP205 ready to roll. And I will have to look at my friends pile of parts. But that would be a $250-$300. used transfer case. Should I investigate further?
Rick - I plan on rebuilding the 241 anyway, so as long as the gears are OK in the used unit it will work. The tricky part is finding a 241C (which means it is a Chevy passenger-side drop) with the 32-spline input (to mate with a TH400) and the rear output with the mechanical speedometer hole. These units were only produced and used in 1988 and 1989 models, as the later units utilized the electronic speedometer as you may know. The reason I need a 32-spline input is because the 700R4 transmission I had built by Bowtie Overdrives in 2016 included the Advance Adapters 32-spline output shaft to mate to my OEM CUCV NP208.

cucvrus

OK. So I looked at mine. I think the difference is the new body style and the old body style. GM made both from 1988-1991 in cab chassis models. If it is the new 1988 body it has the pulse sensor. If the old the cable drive. That is my guess. I know think the 1990 K5 Blazer had the pulse also with the 700R. I am guessing at best. But anyway I do not have the 241C with the cable drive. It has a cracked case but would be free to whoever wants to pay the shipping. It came from a TH400. Be quick or it will bounce onto the scrap pile. The pile has grown immensely. Happy Holidays.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the new body style had the pulse speedometer, while the old square body had the cable speedometer. I guess I am still looking. Thanks.

cucvrus

DSCF6690.jpgDSCF6689.jpgI did see your e mail. I am considering all offers at this point. I wanted to share my pictures of the NP241C I removed from my 1988 plow truck. It was the newer body style. I threw it on the scrap pile now.

cucvrus

Yes that will be hard to find. It must be a 1988-1990 old cab chassis 4x4. The body style model cab chassis had the electronic drive. I have been looking with no luck. Do they make an electronic speedo that you could use?

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The np241c with passenger side drop was used in square body trucks from 88-91. 1990 and 1991 models had electronic speedometers while earlier ones had the cable driven speedometer. 32 spline inputs were also used behind sm465 4-speed manual transmissions. You could also swap input shafts from 27 to 32 spline.

cucvrus

I know the old 1990-91 Chevrolet/GMC suburban had the electronic speedometer with the tripometer that may be an option. I don't have any but remember seeing them when I was scrapping and crushing that fine American iron. Just a thought. The speedometer would fit the cluster perfect. but I am sure there is more to it. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks