• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTEC II vs WTEC III?

coachgeo

also believe the wtechIII's computer is below the power distribution panel/behind passenger kick panel where in the wtechII it is under the keypad. Not sure how easy it is to peer in either location to evaluate.... nor what it would look like if you did.

Ronmar

Couple of 10mm bolts to pull the passenger kick panel. If you have a vehicle interface module there, you have a II. on the III, the trans controller is where the VIM usually is...

Ronmar

on a WTEC II the controller is below the keypad and the VIM is below the PDP behind the passenger kickpanel. On a WTEC III the Trans controller is below the PDP behind passenger kickpanel where the VIM used to be and they did away with the VIM. There are a couple of standalone relays for neutral start and PTO/winch function that used to be handled by the VIM relays...

Bric314

on a WTEC II the controller is below the keypad and the VIM is below the PDP behind the passenger kickpanel. On a WTEC III the Trans controller is below the PDP behind passenger kickpanel where the VIM used to be and they did away with the VIM. There are a couple of standalone relays for neutral start and PTO/winch function that used to be handled by the VIM relays...
Is a WTEC 2 truck upgradeable to run with a WTEC 3 selector and PDP without the VIM? Or will I still need of a VIM?

Thanks

DREDnot

Is a WTEC 2 truck upgradeable to run with a WTEC 3 selector and PDP without the VIM? Or will I still need of a VIM?

Thanks
My understanding is no. When I was trying to get a WTEC2 truck running, The info I was getting was that the control pad, the VIM, and the trans had to all be the same. The WTEC3 truck I'm working on now is way different. It seems like each iteration of WTEC controller have completely different black boxes and harnesses and connectors from one another and they must match the trans it has. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to tell you differnt, but this is what I've seemed to see with my limited dealing with this subject

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is no. When I was trying to get a WTEC2 truck running, The info I was getting was that the control pad, the VIM, and the trans had to all be the same. The WTEC3 truck I'm working on now is way different. It seems like each iteration of WTEC controller have completely different black boxes and harnesses and connectors from one another and they must match the trans it has. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to tell you differnt, but this is what I've seemed to see with my limited dealing with this subject
There is a crossover reference matrix in the TM. I don’t remember exactly where I saw it but it’s there. If I get a chance this weekend I’ll look if no one has it by then.

MrMikey4026

I know if the Army puts a WTEC3 transmission in your WTEC2 truck, you get to remove the valve body and replace the transmission harness.
Supposedly there was an inline harness adapter that came with the new transmissions, nobody could find one however.
It was not any fun!

coachgeo

I know if the Army puts a WTEC3 transmission in your WTEC2 truck, you get to remove the valve body and replace the transmission harness.
Supposedly there was an inline harness adapter that came with the new transmissions, nobody could find one however.
It was not any fun!
can you be more specific about "not fun" what was difficult about it?? the pull apart is a PITA.... getting the swamped in harness to sit right without getting pinched was pita orrr???

Much appreciate in advance any additional input you can offer

MrMikey4026

can you be more specific about "not fun" what was difficult about it?? the pull apart is a PITA.... getting the swamped in harness to sit right without getting pinched was pita orrr???

Much appreciate in advance any additional input you can offer
You have to remove the front driveline and exhaust. Some of the pan bolts are almost inaccessible and there is not enough room to remove them. Not enough clearance between them and the transfer case.
It is very heavy and has to be angled to drop it off. Once off the harness is easily replaced. Putting it back on is worse. I tied the unremoveable bolts to the pan rail with rubber bands, then cut them once the pan/valve body was set into place.
I tore the gasket the first time and got to do it over. You need two people to put it back.
A jack will not work to lift it. Keep in mind the pan/valve assembly weighs in the neighborhood of 90 lbs, the solenoids are easily broken during the process as there is just enough clearnece to get it in and out. The solenoid I broke is military only and expensive.
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

You have to remove the front driveline and exhaust. Some of the pan bolts are almost inaccessible and there is not enough room to remove them. Not enough clearance between them and the transfer case.
It is very heavy and has to be angled to drop it off. Once off the harness is easily replaced. Putting it back on is worse. I tied the unremoveable bolts to the pan rail with rubber bands, then cut them once the pan/valve body was set into place.
I tore the gasket the first time and got to do it over. You need two people to put it back.
A jack will not work to lift it. Keep in mind the pan/valve assembly weighs in the neighborhood of 90 lbs, the solenoids are easily broken during the process as there is just enough clearnece to get it in and out. The solenoid I broke is military only and expensive.
Mike
woud it be less PITA if bed was removed first?

MrMikey4026

You have to remove the front d riveline and exhaust. Some of the pan bolts are almost inaccessible and there is not enough room to remove them. Not enough clearance between them and the transfer case.
A jack will not work to lift it.
Mike

MrMikey4026

Removing the bed would make no difference.
The computer will have to be reset to remove the learned transmission using Allison DOC to learn the new transmission shifting habits. Remember the WTEC2 has paper clutches and the WTEC3 uses Kevlar clutch material. It has completely different shift characteristics.
I had to change the diagnostic connector to connect to my computer. All the trucks that used the WTEC2 had only the transmission on the diagnostic connector.

MrMikey4026

Drat

Assuming Kevlar is better; if one is in an A0 tranny for some reason.. Can the Kevlar type be swapped in while they are in there?
To upgrade to Kevlar, the entire transmission would have to be dismantled and reassembled. I am no Allison transmission expert, there is a possibility that there are also differences in the valve body.
Not worth doing in my opinion.
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks