• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wth?Deuce making to much power?

tm america

I was driving home from work today and going up a little hill so i pushed the go pedal....And something changed... I'm guessing something with the injection pump...The truck took off like crazy pulling hard to 70mph up hill? The boost gage spun around past 40psi and actually broke the needle when it went all the way around.. scary... :driver:Now it feels normal unless i get into it above 2000rpm.. then it shoots the boost up like crazy.....

I just put this motor in a few months ago .I did the head gaskets and filters when i put it in ..It was down on power So i turned the fuel up .. It has been running great since then till now.. I wonder if i had a plugged injector or something that finally freed itself up..
. Any ideas on what could have happened to make it go from 20 psi boost to 40 psi plus .. instantly?

tm america

The change is what has me puzzeled.. I think if i would have stayed into it the gov would have broke and it would have keep on to 75 or more. It pulled off so hard when something changed it felt like someone kicked it from behind...
Maybe the radiation from japan has my truck warming up for the zombie uprise ?.But no this really did happen and i would like to get some ideas before i dig into it.. i don't want to add an inspection hole in the side of my block

tm america

no jokes here .. i wish it was .. If i thought the bottom end could handle it i would leave it alone .. But i doupt that would be the case and i don't feel like changing the motor again so soon

stampy

Did you check the oil to see if you were low? I only ask because At a higher RPM maybe lubrication oil is getting into the combustion chamber...Weird yes, but I don't think it's impossible. But having never built a diesel I will shut my pie hole and hope someone else (with experience) speaks up:?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say maybe somebody slapped on a salvaged afterbuner from one of those re-appropriated F-14's while you weren't a-lookin':-D

tm america

I didn't get to check anything it was raining pretty good when i pulled up at home.. I am thinking i must of had a plugged injector or maybe something plugged in the injector pump. I did add 30 gal of trans fluid to the fuel tank today.. Some of it was pretty fresh .. i wonder if the detergent in the atf freed something up .. Maybe now it is working how it should and i just need to turn the fuel back down.. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read on here that ATF fluid will really clean out your fuel system, so maybe thats what happend. do you have a pyro on the engine, if so what was your EGT??

armytruck63

Maybe an air leak formed somewhere in the fuel system. My M1009 got a sudden burst of power while going down the freeway one day. It was caused by a crack in the rubber fuel line that goes into the lift pump.

In my case, about 30 seconds after the power boost, the M1009 developed a severe power loss, and I had to keep the accelerator floored to limp down the shoulder at 10 MPH to the next exit. As soon as I let off, the engine stalled and couldn't be restarted.

I would for sure check for hydrostatic lock when you next start the truck. Crankcase oil scavenging is another possibility.

tm america

no on the egt.. I was using the boost gage to give me an idea where i was with things ..Going by what other guys have been reported..I was keeping it under 13psi for the most part..

nk14zp

I didn't get to check anything it was raining pretty good when i pulled up at home.. I am thinking i must of had a plugged injector or maybe something plugged in the injector pump. I did add 30 gal of trans fluid to the fuel tank today.. Some of it was pretty fresh .. i wonder if the detergent in the atf freed something up .. Maybe now it is working how it should and i just need to turn the fuel back down.. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
It sounds like that is whats going on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much did you raise up the fuel first time. How many threads are showing on the two nut stud. It could be possible you just have to back down the fuel and you will be fine. Have never seen it happen but the wedge is what controls the fuel so you would have to take off FDC and looksea in side.

tm america

I probably went like two turns..I went a little drove it the went a little more till i started to get some black smoke at full throttle..I was planning on turning it down a little anyway as i adjusted it when it was cold out and didnt want to be off when it was hot with less dense air.I still have the fdc hooked up to.. Maybe it was clogged keeping things on min fuel till now .:?:
Well i guess i'm gonna order me another boost gage and a pyro before i get into it.. That way i can have a couple ways to gage where things are..I might put a cable on the slide so i can adjust the fuel on the go.. I really like the way it drives when i have it turned up to much but would like to be able to turn it down when i don't want to stress about whether i'm melting engine parts or not

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thought Dave and that could be checked with a gage on the finials.
I would bypass that FDC and to do the fuel test. You need a constant load like a Wheel dyno or holding the brakes test thing. Try to adjust just by smoke you could be anywhere or driving up the same hill don't work real well.
I saw someone made a cable to go from cab to top of FDC so he could adjust fuel on the fly. The twin nuts stud pulls out. If someone was to make a brackett and cable to that stud you could adjust on the fly to. By having it on the FDC servo you are limited to as much as the servo moves. Now if you grab the twin nutt stud you could pull it to full fuel.
Get the good gages run your numbers and check fuel pressures at the different rpm per TM's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks