• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK: V100 Transfer Case value

wgtactical

Curious if anyone knows what price to expect to pay for a V100 transfer case? I would really like to have a two speed variant that was found on the later V150, but those seem non-existent as well.

wgtactical

Just finding one to buy would be the trick, I think hen's teeth are more common... :(

Cheers
That's what I am finding out as well. Fortunately I have a spare for mine but have not been able to find out what it's worth. I've been kicking around the idea of building some but it looks like the cost will probably end up beyond what most folks are willing to spend.

B3.3T

The last one I bought was 8 years ago. I had to track it down in Jamaica and it ended up costing us $15k with shipping. I have not heard of another since. I would have to value one at $25k or more. It would cost more than that to have one build.

wgtactical

The last one I bought was 8 years ago. I had to track it down in Jamaica and it ended up costing us $15k with shipping. I have not heard of another since. I would have to value one at $25k or more. It would cost more than that to have one build.
Thanks B3.3T and give me a shout the next time you're looking for one. I've got most of it on CAD now.

wgtactical

That indeed looks like it could work. At least there is a decent amount of room to work with and rearranging mounting brackets would be easy. Gerald, I will keep you in mind.
The output/input center to center dimension on the case needs to be pretty close, otherwise you'll need to make up the difference with the powerplant. Looks like those cases are full time 4WD too.

Hi
v100 v150 collectors restorers ,
I owned a company and we made the v150S transfer case,
not like a normal T Case
cast iron body 2 intermediate idler gears that were precision Ground
we machined the housing roughed out the gear blanks and had the gears precision ground by a local michigan gear company , I do have a complete set of drawings for this assembly but the main casting and the oil pump are the hard pieces to get , the oil pump was propriety by cushman and sons and they charged us a arm and leg for those,
i have many old drawings for V100 and v150 parts , if you are looking for a particular part number let me know I might be of some help to you,
my father was the Vice President of Cadillac Gage for years and I grew up around the factory in warren where the V 100 was made ,
i love seeing these old cadillac Gage vehicles,

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have been meaning to have some cases cast. The plan is to fab the core myself (said that last year) and have a foundry owner buddy do the rest, make the box and pour. He casts only Al but knows a pal that can do Fe if I so choose. Plan A is to do one in Al, as a test, then 4 in Fe. Plan B is to use Al if he has a high strength alloy. I plan to cast only 4 or 5 cases. I have a bunch of NOS big gears. I had K&K, a local machine shop, make some small gears from originals. 8640 w/heat treat (see pic). They made a some inner shafts too, same stuff. The tail-shaft housing, top and bearing covers should be easy to cast in Al. The 10 new bearings (one case) ran me about $1k 5 y ago

Fabing those 3 outer shafts (x3) worry me. I think they will be prohibitively expensive. Each has different lengths and splines. Currently plan to make some castings, have K&K mill and bore the 6 holes on one of them, complete case using 4 new gears and original used parts.

I might swap rough castings and gears in exchange for machine work. Might be enough stuff to get four done. I'd be happy half of them.

If cast this spring I'll post a pic of the process/ results here.
Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Rickv100

Interesting thread. MichiganM1038, I would be interested in a copy of your drawings just to preserve the knowledge for future needs. Keith Rucker on youtube uses a CatTail Foundry to cast iron objects. I would think you will need to have a core made and then the cope and drag made up for casting. Then cast the objects.

He had the cores printed using 3d printers.

Worth a thought.

Rick

Rickv100

Jason,

I have heard of a few hulls without the case over the years. I know that there is possibly a knockoff copy of the t-case made in Guatemala or El Salvador in the 80's for their locally produced armored cars.

Rick

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll dig around in El Salvador as I have family there and a few higher level contacts. I'm trying to get one of the Armored Dodge M37s out of there, which where used in the civil war in the 1980-90s. I spent the New Years in San Salvador this year (2014-2015). Let me see what I can find.

Rickv100

I have a book on Central American armor with pictures of those. I was always interested in more detail. The book alludes to TACOM being involved in the conversion but no details.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks