• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WVO Blending

k1ccp

I have been blending WVO with RUG at 80% WVO to 20% RUG. I have read so many post on other forums to make my head spin. For as many that I read for it I read just as many against it. So since I am running a 1984 M1009 I thought I would come to a forum where there is others with the same vehicle. Now my blazer has been running just fine so far on this with no mods, however I know this won't last as I live here in Vermont where temps drop to well below zero in the winter. I plan to add a heated fuel filter and heated injector lines as well as a a heated fuel line from the tank to the filter. What experience do you have in this? Am I asking for problems? Can WVO become the same thickness of diesel if thinned out both chemically and with heat?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are chemicals that will lower the viscosity of VO/WVO, I'm told, but don't think it's working much below 20°F and it probably isn't cost effective.
Your best bet is to have a dual tank system, actually dual everything all the way to the IP, since "flushing" still won't clean your filters (back flushing, perhaps, but that's a little difficult).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will save lots of headaches if you run diesel in the winter. I ran WVO twice (although in my deuce not 1009) and it was a pita. Whats RUG? (Theres a carpet muncher joke in there somewhere!)

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will save lots of headaches if you run diesel in the winter. I ran WVO twice (although in my deuce not 1009) and it was a pita. Whats RUG? (Theres a carpet muncher joke in there somewhere!)
RUG = Regular unleaded gas if I remember corretly from my WVO days.

kentuckycucv

I made a batch of 70% wvo 20% wmo and 10% rug ... It ran good(Ihave a fuel heater) but had hard start. so I ran it down to a half tank and filled it it up with Diesel bc it is really cold 20-36 lately 12-6-10 Im starting my M1009 with a blast of either. i hope I havent created an either baby, but One squirt in the breather hole and it fires right up. As cold as it is I think im going to run my tank down and fill her up with streight diesel till it warms up.

b4thundr

I will say I run a grease car kit in a 95 Ford powerstroke, they make heat witch is what ya need running veg, I have been running veg for four years with ZERO problems. I have not called greasecar about running a veg kit on a CUCV It might work provided you run a hotter T-stat and put some cardboard in front of the radiator idk I think ill just keep running RED diesel in the cucv's

My engine is an NHC 250, it is that considered a multi fuel engine? and if not, how much wvo would be save to mix with the diesel?
No that is not a Multi-fuel. A NHC 250 is a Diesel engine. A LDT or LDS is a multifuel beacuse of the design of the engine. Also alot depends on the WVO to how much you need to mix. Is the WVO clean unused? or is it used it full of crud, fats, and water? The more you refine and filter the WVO before you put it in your tank the better off you will be. Also your mix will change with the weather. The colder it gets the less WVO you should have in your mix. Unless you have a heated fuel tank, heated fuel lines, heater fuel filter and a heated garage and place to park you will eventually have problems. A 2 tank system helps but like others have said it has its down falls too.

SilentSpeedy

The only thing heated is my block, the oil should be clean though, it is old oil but I ran it trough a centrifuge. According to the advertiser of the centrifuge it should be filtered down to 1/2 micron. I was thinking of doing a 1 in 10 mix.

Others should chime in on this but im not sure if a centrifuge gets the fats out of wvo, anyone know? the fats will clog your filter up especially in cold weather.

I found this info:
4. Will my vehicle be adversly affected by the PHO and/or fats present in centrifuged WVO? If you have a two tank conversion, the answer is simply NO. This is due to an in-tank heater in the WVO tank that will melt the PHO and/or fats. This mixture of heated oil and melted PHO/fats will flow freely from the WVO tank to the engine without any problems. If you have a single tank conversion in your vehicle, the removal of PHO and/or fats is thought to be an important step in processing your WVO because they can restrict fuel flow from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. In single tank systems a heated fuel filter is standard, so once the PHO and/or fats reach the filter they will melt and not result in any additional problems. Completely removing all the PHO and/or fats is extremely difficult, but if you can reduce them to a negligible amount then they will not pose a threat to your fuel system. The ABSOLUTE CENTRIFUGE will significantly reduce the amount of PHO and/or fats present in WVO only if processed without heat, making it a safe choice for your single tank vehicle (please read next question for

FAQs | Absolute Centrifuge

stampy

Centrifuges get rid of anything heavier than oil (to a point) I always heat the oil then drain any water or sludge off the bottom of my heated barrel before I centrifuge the oil. This removes a lot of the problem areas prior to the centrifuge. Now as far as cold weather mix I always run 50/50 in the winter in my CUCV. In NC we don't get really cold like some of you up north. You might even go 20% WVO to 80% diesel. Remember when switching a diesel vehicle over to WVO you will go through at least 1 filter (or set of filters) as WVO cleans the crud out of your tank. If you want NO HASSLE AT ALL then just use diesel. Blending WVO may not be the best idea for everyone especially those who do not have a spare car. Otherwise, I have great success with my diesel Benz, m1009, and M35a2 running blens from 80/20 to 50/50 here in NC. Avengeusa sells the centifuges also.:D

jatonka

I would mix WVO 0% , RUG 0% , and winterized Diesel 100%. If you need, or care about your engine, just use what is called for, you do not live in a climate condusive to alternative fuels and a 6.2 will not live long with any amount of gasoline in it. Just ask around any diesel mechanic from The Northeast Kingdom. JT

grayw0lf

I'm currently running 25-33% diesel w/ my WVO in my M1009. Its not that cold in Alabama & I start it up & run the first few miles on 100% diesel.

kentuckycucv

So I ran my my veggie/used moter oil mix to a half tank and refilled with diesel. With the higher concentration of diesel it fires right up... so im running 70%diesel 30% filtered WVO with some WMO with it. Runs great!
Lots of pecimists and fear mongers on here. Has anybody damaged the 6.2 running WVO?

dhedden

A 6.2 should run just fine on it. After all, the diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil. Diesel fuel didn't exist, it just happened to be Rudolf Diesel's name right? Remember this though. The 6.2 is a 21.5:1 compression engine and gasoline ignites too readily to run in any form. As far as how your filters and injectors will like it. Now that may be a different story. they were designed with the viscosity of diesel in mind. If you need a starting aid, i would recommend WD-40 rather than ether or gasoline down an open intake. It works rather well and wont destroy glow plugs.[thumbzup] Just pull the top of the breather off.
If everything is working properly it shouldn't need any starting aids. A rebuilt (non-leaking)injector pump and an electric pump near the tank to assist the mechanical makes starting a breeze. Its also nice for filter prining as well.

area52

As a side note about diesel and temps:

We are currently using three of the portable oil fired heaters here at work, we have to fill them up with clean #1 diesel about every 8 hours. Last night it was -5 F here and the diesel was just starting to "gel" or get thicker and flow a little slower. This from a drum that was sitting outside all night. Would have made for some very hard starting in a regular diesel truck.

dhedden

I can remember my first winter in Korea up at Camp Casey. We were set up on Hill 410 in January of 92. I went to fuel up the generator at 2 am and got nothing but red jello. It wouldn't even come out of the can. We had to mix mogas with the diesel in the jerry can feeding the pot belly stove in the tent to keep it from jelling. We had jerry cans full of diesel stacked in the gp medium tent for quite a while to keep it from jelling pretty much completly. **** what a miserable cold place in the winter. If your in commo you are always on a mountain top it seems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks