• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII RPV camera unit

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found and bought today.. I took pictures, as it will be going to its new owner soon.

This is an Iconoscope camera from a WWII remotely piloted bomb. Note the many vacuum tubes. The rest of the system (TV transmitter, power supplies, flight control receiver, etc.. whereabouts unknown). These rode in the nose of the huge bomb and were therefore expendable so they are quite rare. Made by RCA of course! Hope the images are pleasing. Any comments are welcome. Many more high resolution ones are in the Bunker of DOOM website. http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/block3/index.html

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I know a ham radio guy and military ordnance enthusaist near me who would drool over that thing. Looks very high tech for the 40s.

For the uninformed, the old vacuum tube technology beats our current solid state and surface mounted technology hands down. Hollow state technology can be easily repaired or built from scratch, unlike solid state. Also, tube tech is EMP proof - any blown circuits can be repaired easily, but the solid state is fried forever.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it was classified in those early days. The new owner is attached to it primarily because of the type of imaging tube and he is a collector of television equipment, but as always if someone is more interested due to the militaria value of the entire unit, a satisfactory arrangement could likely be made. In any case I am happy to have had the chance to photograph it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks