• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-door Supplemental Armor glass?

Gear Report

Two of my 4 x-doors with supplemental armor have what looks like funk between the glass panes where water got in, then dried... leaving behind a bit of white-ish residue.
Does anyone know if the glass can be taken apart, cleaned, then reassembled?
Or an economical source of replacement glass?
When I bought them I wasn't aware that the glass is thicker than standard x-door glass. The seller said he would swap in the glass from his x-doors so I would have good glass. Then we realized it isn't the same glass, frames, or tracks... so that won't work.
Trying to find a solution that will give me usable window glass (ie. clear enough to pass inspection and be safe to drive).
The seller committed to make this right, but I'd like to be find a cost effective solution for him.

Also have one where the layers of glass appear to be delaminating around 3 sides, extending about 1.5" in from the edges. Center is fine.

Any constructive ideas are appreciated.

Action

They are delaminating. Junk now. You can get safety glass cut in the same thickness. I paid like $20 per piece. Use the old one for pattern.

dilvoy

You can go to a glass shop with a sample of what you have and have them make or order a new laminated window with both parts being glass instead of glass/polycarbonate. The delamination happens because of the two different materials. Glass with glass will last much longer and if you tape around the edges, may last decades, before it too starts to fog. Laminated glass is better than safety glass, because if someone tries to break in, they probably won't actually get in through the window in question, because it will take too much time.

Gear Report

They are delaminating. Junk now. You can get safety glass cut in the same thickness. I paid like $20 per piece. Use the old one for pattern.
Was that automotive glass?
Are you saying it was $20 per window? ie. were there multiple pieces per window to get the proper thickness, or just one?

Action

Was that automotive glass?
Are you saying it was $20 per window? ie. were there multiple pieces per window to get the proper thickness, or just one?
Price for each window. I have 2 doors. Rated for automotive use. I opted to not have the small logo put on. They are just one piece each. I don't live there anymore, or I would go get some made.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI, 2" RAY-BAR Glass @ 22lbs per sq ft. UL 752 LEVEL 8 BULLET RESISTANCE, NO SPALL RESISTS 7.62 X 51 / 308 WIN, NO SPALL ON ASSET SIDE ALSO MEETS NIJ 0108.01 LEVEL 3

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put the thinner frames in if you find some
The only thing different from thick to thin windows is frame and glass.......slides, and rollers are the same.

Action

Hard Head, this is for x-doors.
Gear Report, $47 for installation of each x-door window?

Sounds like both of you are talking about windshields. I think there are 2 bolts to drop the window and 4 screws holding the frames together.

Gear Report

Hard Head, this is for x-doors.
Gear Report, $47 for installation of each x-door window?

Sounds like both of you are talking about windshields. I think there are 2 bolts to drop the window and 4 screws holding the frames together.
I can't speak for HH, but I am talking about the windows in the doors themselves. NOT the windshield. I'm sure the shop understands, as I took the truck to them... so no danger that they gave me a quote over the phone and they thought I was looking for a windshield.

Last edited:

desmodromic

I can't speak for HH, but I am talking about the windows in the doors themselves. NOT the windshield. I'm sure the shop understands, as I took the truck to them... so no danger that they gave me a quote of the phone and they thought I was looking for a windshield.
Any success yet finding the correct ballistic glass for the supplemental doors? All the glass panels in my supp doors are roached.

Last edited:

Gear Report

Any success yet finding the correct ballistic glass for the supplemental doors? All the glass panels in my supp doors are roached.
Nothing definitive yet, just a couple of warm leads that may/may not pan out.

The local shops all said "that is 1/4", not 5/8"... and two of them even laughed when they said it, like I was full of crap for thinking it was THAT thick.
I just smiled while they went to get their window calipers... then looked in disbelief at the reading. lol
And all of the local folks said they couldn't do the correct replacement glass. One said they could do tempered in that thickness, but 3 others said they could only get up to 1/2" tempered.

I know a custom shop that says they have some of the correct ballistic glass laminate, but are too busy on a project to give me a price.
And I know an OEM manufacturer that says he can get me the glass... but also too busy to give me a price.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just duct tape a piece of blue tarp over the rear window. That should be MUCH cheaper.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks