• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM 410 steering box

JGBallew

Need some help getting this box rebuilt.
Obviously a Ross box, but it has no model or type numbers in the usual places. (just a single stamp, either "O" or "Zero".)

Internally it's a HPS (702990 is the main housing cast number) but the main housing is aluminum.
Internals are scrap.

Suggestions or leads?

Last edited:

JGBallew

Thanks for the backlink, I need to resize most of my images.

Just background/fyi- the truck dates from the late 50's early 60's and was intended to replace the then current 2.5 ton vehicles. 8 wheel drive, 8 wheel independent suspension on torsion bars, 4 wheel power steering. Engine is a Chrysler V-8, driving the line through a Torque-Flite, and a 180 degree range selector gearbox.

Differentials are through power, and selectable, it has inboard power disc brakes run by what looks like a common Bendix airpac.
The vehicle was meant to be instanly swimmable with little to no prep. It's a unibody, the chassis is almost entirely aluminum alloy.

So far most of what I'm dealing with is corrosion control and damage control from years of neglect, followed by getting it running.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
410 steering box

Just thinking out loud but you are in hot rod heaven down there. What about some of the local hot-rod clubs? Can you contact the "base" itself to see if one of the military mechanics wants to lend a hand? Somehow through the MVPA we have 'military' contacts who are also interested in saving these toys.

Out of the box, any heavy truck clubs, hydraulic repair shops, or maybe the boys at Bondaraunt racing near firebird. Since this thing was made by Chrysler is there any hope that NOS is still around?

Maybe some amphib links The Amphiclopedia

No luck with local repair shops? Phoenix power steering Reviews - Find power steering in Phoenix, AZ

Have you spoke with Jack from Jacks Governments Surplus (Az) - a set on Flickr

Jacks Government Surplus

Is there an "alternative modern" that will fit?

What about.....that's pronounced "a boot" stripping it down and looking for individual components Steering Box Rebuild, Rag Joint and Pit Arm - ThirdGen.org

This one is "way" out there but this amazing man named John runs Autobahn BMW & Porsche Parts Dismantler in San Diego. It's a long shot and a last resort however John is a wealth of mechanical info.....as long as he's not too busy.

Let us know what you find.

JGBallew

Most of the larger truck/implement places that I've contacted are more in the nature of 'R&R', instead of rebuilding. Given that this is a late 50's PS unit, most just say "no, it's too old". Smaller PS places so far just wish me luck.

Been checking yards for an alternate, but it has to turn four large tires. It would have to be at least as powerful as what was in the vehicle, while being close to the same dimensions and mounting to maintain the hull integrity. Additionally, the hull is aluminum, so welding on bits is not as easy.

The housings I have are actually fine, and I'm tempted to just buy a similar HPS 72 series Ross and gut it. But they are a bit over 750.00, not counting a 250.00 core charge.

The individual components path MIGHT work, but it depends on what I can find.
I really need to find a decent overhaul manual for these boxes , so I can cross ref part numbers, etc. This being a one-off experimental, there is very very little documentation on it of any form.

Jack's is in Tucson, and might be a worthwhile day trip for me. Little bit of a drive, but it wouldn't hurt I guess.

JGBallew

An update, a company called "Lares Corporation" says they can rebuild it.
Seems the HPS 70 series were used on some of the heavier Ford trucks.

Still need to get down to Tucson though, just trying to catch up on work first.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update, a company called "Lares Corporation" says they can rebuild it.
Seems the HPS 70 series were used on some of the heavier Ford trucks.

Still need to get down to Tucson though, just trying to catch up on work first.

That is great news. Keep us posted on costs and part numbers if you can.

If you get a chance to visit Tuscon and Jacks and if you have not seen Pima Air Museum, Home : Pima Air & Space Museum : Tucson, Arizona (80 acres of iron and aluminum)
it is worth spending a day there (allow 4hrs min)

They will take you on a tour of the Davis-Monthan Boneyard
(allow 45 min)

then go visit the Home
(allow 1.25 hrs)

The run to Yuma's Cloud Museum and Yuma Prooving Grounds to see model T's and armor is amazing. Look up Gunfreak25 if you do.

More pictures please.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resurrecting an old thread.

Someone just contacted our local MVPA club wondering about whether to sell or restore one of these so I had to do a search to find out exactly what it was. The link hendersonj posted is dead so I'll add a file photo to the thread in case anyone else is looking. The guy wanted a value but given the rarity of the item it's one of those "whatever someone is willing to pay for it" situations.

Chrysler-XM410E1-8x8-1960.jpg

JGBallew

"The guy wanted a value but given the rarity of the item it's one of those "whatever someone is willing to pay for it" situations."

Very much so, there were only a handful built, and they use what at first look like off the shelf components, but turn out to not be.

Only the engine, transmission and a few other bits were somewhat common, and none of them were identical.

rustystud

"The guy wanted a value but given the rarity of the item it's one of those "whatever someone is willing to pay for it" situations."

Very much so, there were only a handful built, and they use what at first look like off the shelf components, but turn out to not be.

Only the engine, transmission and a few other bits were somewhat common, and none of them were identical.
Did you ever find the rebuild information for your steering gear ? I have the original Ross Service manual and it lists the HP-70 series gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks