• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM791 Recoveries

Oldfart

Let me start by thanking "Cranetruck" for putting up with all my PM questions and all the helpful information he provided.

Jollyroger and I spent the entire yesterday recovering a couple of XM791's we bought at an auction close to home. As noted on the windshields, these were "Not Running" when parked. While XM791's were the expansable van version, both of these trucks are missing the van bodies as well as other parts. We don't know the extent of "forklift" damage, but the first photos we saw they were in considerably better shape.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are welcome Bob. Glad you got them home okay.
Pretty obvious (IMHO anyway) that a previous owner stripped all alluminum for scrap, saving the cab to make it possible to sell the remains.

Will be an interestiong project for you, wish I was a bit closer, geographically speaking...

Oldfart

We got them back to the farm, but we have yet to "unload". Looking over our photos I find we did not take any that show the flat tow setup from the side. I will do that today when I unload the trailer and recover my truck. Ya gotta love those military tow bars.!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 791s used a standard M4 expandible body IIRC.
Right Kenny...images from the TM:
It's going to be virtually impossible to restore an xm791 with the starting point he has unless a substitute body is used. There were only 7 or 8 made total, according to the info I have.
Edit: A similar quantity without winch was also delivered for a grand total of perhaps 18 units.

Edit: Added image showing one from a 1971 convoy in Germany, where they were used with the Pershing 1A system.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitey

That's a pretty darn neat truck with potential. First thing I noticed were the hub steps like the Unimogs have. From my experience they are very helpful, but getting in a Mog is still not easy.

wikallen

The photos by chance taken with a Kodak Digital camera were they? Everyone I know that has one has had the lens covers stick half way open like that.

Oldfart

Kodak camera yes! And that is the first time that has happened in more than two years of use. The camera is pink in a pink carring case which gets me all sorts of ribbing in MVCC. That could be the topic of a thread in and of itself. The last 5 or so photos were taken just after the sale earlier with two different cell phones.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're gonna have to find an M820 shop van body to put back on there. I think TNJ Murray has one or two of those in the back lot.

Nice saves, those aren't common and it will be great to see them restored back to their sort-of former glory. Keep us posted.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not that close to you, but if you need a nice box i might be able to help.

There is a trailer for sale near me that i want for a project and i wont need the box.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW totally awesome save, I am a little familiar witht he 757 but never even heard of the 791, is the running gear the same as the 757? was it made by Ford, and if so can I as what year the MFG tag says? Great find and a really interesting looking project! Great luck with the restoration and please keep the pics coming
KK

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW totally awesome save, I am a little familiar witht he 757 but never even heard of the 791, is the running gear the same as the 757? was it made by Ford, and if so can I as what year the MFG tag says? Great find and a really interesting looking project! Great luck with the restoration and please keep the pics coming
KK
The three variants were all made by Ford and delivered to the Army during 1969. About 300 ea of the m656 cargo version, 180ea of the xm757 and about 8 ea of the xm791. All used for the Pershing 1A system in Germany from 1969 to about 1985, when the Pershing 2 was introduced. It was heavier and the 10-ton MAN and later HEMTT trucks used.

Probably too expensive and overqualified (swimming ability etc) for general replacement of the 5-ton trucks, so Pershing 1A only.
Test versions were built from 1965-1968 or so.
I love working on my 757 and believe oldfart (Bob) will grow to love his trucks also.
Oh, yeah, the running gear is common to all with minor mods, but only the cargo version will swim...

Oldfart

Jollyroger, Ghostrider and I have spent the day looking our purchases over and unloading. The windshields do not necessarily match the bodies due to one having some camo paint on a truck that is not camo etc. However, painted on the windshields are the names of people whom we assume were assigned to that particular seat. One name looks like Malone and then there is a Sgt. someone. One of the trucks had the remains of the vinyl top stuffed down in the passenger seat. It was so stiff it took me about a half hour to get it dug out without tearing it all up. I think we have a pattern saved. Anyhow, on the inside of the passenger door there was a stencil limiting the speed on the Autobahn to 50 MPH (among other things). The bumper unit marking on the same truck was "56 BDE" This is stenciled over vinyl letters that appear to be the same ident. (Hard to be sure of the vinyl "D" as there is a fair amount of paint and it is peeling through the vinyl.) Both trucks have dash data plates that list the date of Manufacture as 12 of 68. I assume that would make it a 1969 delivery to the army. The serial numbers are long and match except for the last 4 digits which are 0001 and 0011. I took some more snap shots of bits and pieces as well as our attempt to get one off the trailer. I will post those after I get them downloaded..

Interesting bed. I am not sure where we are going yet, but it does look like what would have been on our chassis.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Got todays photos downloaded so I can upload them. Both cabs are unbolted on the drivers side and blocked up. It looks like an effort to access the steering linkage which they screwed up anyway with a forklift. Engine covers are loose and popped up. Found a couple of boots in the cab one of which looks sort of OK. Lots of aluminum air tubes and hoses stuffed in the cabs as well.

Attachments

Oldfart

More photos

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting Bob!
From the info I can dig up, the 56th FA was headquartered in Schwäbisch Gemünd, Germany. Looks like the truck (both?) was returned from Europe, in contrast, mine came from the FA school, Ft Sill, OK.

If I may advise you, save everything and I mean every little thing stowed in those cabs. The vinyl top is a rare item, the SCAT tubing (brick red) is used for the fuel burning heater. I have extra seat covers if/when times comes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks