• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another blown head gasket

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was blowing oil out the back of the engine.

I finally had the time to take it apart and found three places where the gasket was gone, torn or worn. What a surprise.

Another surprise was the broken exhaust manifold.

I would like to thank all that have posted information on challenging repairs. I would of never attempted this repair or the recent clutch replacement with out the help of the expert advice available here.

Thank you.
Karl

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made my own out of a 7/8 inch wrench and a short adapter.
I got the idea from the pictures that others have posted.

The third one back from the front took me more than two hours. Someone else had tried to turn the nut before and rounded it. I finally turned it enough with the wrench and then slowly turned it with a screwdriver and a hammer. The rest came off easily.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is surprising with the exhaust manifold.

I regret not drilling mine for a pyro when I had it off.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the engine back together this weekend.
Installed new the head gaskets, new hoses, clamps and all associated gaskets. Changed oil and filters too.
I was able to get a used exhaust manifold from a neighbor.

The heads were machined and checked by a professional engine repair facility.

It went back together without too many delays. Took it for a ride today with no leaks or other obvious problems.

Thanks to Will Wagner for helping me with a few technical details. And once agian I would like to Thank all that have posted information on replacing head gaskets.

Karl

Attachments

kastein

Resurrecting this because it seems most relevant... looks like an LDS exhaust manifold? Where did you get your gasket set? I just blew my head gasket, same spot as yours (back of cylinder 6, I can feel air rushing out on compression stroke and the gasket is literally hanging out) and I can't find anyone who has an LDS set in stock. OD Iron has a set with a generic picture that doesn't specify whether it's for an LDS or LDT and I've heard the exhaust manifold gasket is different, and Erik's Mil Surplus is out of stock and lists their kit for the LDT (or LDS, but need a different exhaust manifold gasket.) I don't want to buy the whole set of gaskets only to find mid-reassembly that I don't have one that will fit it.

Gaskets I KNOW I will need -
* head gaskets
* intake manifold gasket
* exhaust manifold gasket
* assorted coolant line gaskets for the coolant ducts leading to the top of the head
* valve cover gasket

Gaskets I think I will need -
* thermostat housing gasket? Not sure these engines have one... which TM should I be looking in? I have -20P open but I'm new to this catalog format, it's pretty confusing.
* exhaust manifold to turbo gasket?
* fuel injector gaskets?
* valve cover vent housing gasket?
* head bolts? Do these have to be replaced on this engine? I'm used to torque-to-yield / bolts that can only be reused once. What manual do I look in for torque specs? Looks like 157 ft-lbs for the head bolts from another thread but I want to be sure... only want to do this once!

Anything I'm missing here? I'm due for an oil change and probably will flush the cooling system at the same time, and I've got requests for quotes on getting the head milled / possibly rebuilt out. I'm really hoping all it needs is a good cleaning and reassembly with new gaskets, of course.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It answers a few, and raises some more. Looks like I get to learn to adjust valve rockers / lifters :shock:
Dead simple-follow the instructions in the TM.

If you have additional questions, there are several threads about valve adjustment here on the forum.

:D

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have swapped the manafolds between trucks while doing turbo experments. I haven't seen any differences between the two. What is different?

kastein

I'm honestly not sure :-| I am VERY new to these trucks, just trying to keep my eye out for anything that could trip me up and keep this from being a one-night reassembly. Erik's Mil Surplus says "Complete overhaul gasket set LD-465 (non turbo) engines in M35 trucks. Also useable with LDT series engines except for the exhaust gaskets." which makes me think it won't work on my truck... LDS-465 (with turbo.) I'm not sure if it's a different exhaust manifold gasket turbo vs non turbo, or a different gasket LDS vs LDT and works on all LD multifuels but just doesn't have the turbo to exhaust manifold gasket. I'm probably improperly using all sorts of terms here... but if it's the latter and it'll work with a turbo manifold, just won't include the gasket for the turbo itself, I'll just get it and not separate the turbo from the manifold when disassembling.

mckeeranger

I made my own out of a 7/8 inch wrench and a short adapter.
I got the idea from the pictures that others have posted.

The third one back from the front took me more than two hours. Someone else had tried to turn the nut before and rounded it. I finally turned it enough with the wrench and then slowly turned it with a screwdriver and a hammer. The rest came off easily.
I don't see a way to get the wrench on the third nut back, port side. (that's nautical port, not intake/exhaust port)

The big red thing shown in the attached picture is in the way. Even with the pipe to the water pump removed, it is in the way of nut #3. There is no mention of it in TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1.

I copied the wrench from: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/46818-check-out-my-new-tool.html

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have not taken a head off a multi yet, but I do know that thing you have illustrated in red id the oil cooler. The motor oil is cooled by the engine coolant, that housing is where it happens. I know its part of the oil filter's mounting. Might have to take that thing off. Should make a pretty good mess too.

mikew

I recently did a head gasket set with a home-made tool like the one in the link above. It's a very tight fit behind the oil cooler, but with a little "adjusting" of my tool (via bench grinder) I got it done!

Last edited:

kastein

Yep, that's the oil cooler. If you make the tool right, it gets by there just fine. I had more trouble on the last bolt at the back because my tool had just enough angle in it to smack into the firewall so I didn't have as much usable travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks