• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resolved: Added 100amp pedestal box to MEP-803, gfci issue

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a 100amp power box to my 803. I wanted the flexibility of a 50amp, 30amp and 20amp outlets. (Pics attached)

I removed the normal cable pass through, and moved it outside the generator, then got a plain octagon cover plate cut a hole for conduit and added 1in flex conduit to connect to the power panel..

I'm getting good power on the 50 and 30 but the gfci on the 20 amp keeps blowing. Since this power box was designed for grid power use, are there different gfci for generator use?

Any concerns with this setup? I really wanted to be able to just plug my camper in like normal..

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to check all connections, it shouldnt be blowing if everythings hooked up right. In the future, you can use something called a spider box, to do exactly what you want, with more versatility. An example:

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to check all connections, it shouldnt be blowing if everythings hooked up right. In the future, you can use something called a spider box, to do exactly what you want, with more versatility. An example:

Thanks for the response. I looked at the spider box. Looks like a cool unit

2Pbfeet

Spiders are often available used as well. Just make sure it has the outlets that you want.
e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404892933551

GFCIs do go bad, but the usual reason is that either there is a line / neutral/ground wiring error, or that some load is being plugged in or unplugged while it is running. (There is the off, off, chance that your load has an actual issue, but that is very uncommon in my experience.)

*Not an electrician, and not professional electrical advice *

All the best,

2Pbfeet

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got it resolved... My first mistake was the assumption that a chicom manufactured box would be wired correctly. I looked over most of it, but missed this part.

They had the line screws jumped to the load screws.. like you would do to a normal plug with the join tab removed.. removed the jumpers and it worked properly..