New Munitions Forums!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here at Steel Soldiers, we have always maintained that discussions on munitions are NOT allowed, but after much debate, we have decided to change that policy. We understand that many Steel Soldiers members are firearms enthusiasts as well as military vehicles enthusiasts. The two just go hand-in-hand. We also understand that there are less and less places on the internet where you can go and have civilized discussions about firearms. So we decided to create a munitions “safe space” here for all of us. We also added a new Military Munitions TM forum to hold all of the manuals.

The Munitions TM section is public, just like the rest of the TMs, but we decided to keep the Munitions discussions forums behind the Premium Membership. This will give us the most amount of freedom to discuss munitions while minimizing the risk to the site and its members. With that said, we still need you all to be responsible and not discuss anything that would be in violation of federal, state, or local firearms laws. We will be moderating the Munitions Forums with an iron fist because we can’t take any chances in today’s environment.

Please let me know what questions you have. Enjoy the new forums!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps a section for local firing ranges and "gun" clubs.

Perhaps a forum for hunting with former military weapons... What have you caught vs. what got away forums.

Perhaps a few sponsors from manufacturers of weapons and restoration services, tour services providing safe family friendly weapons training, licensing forums by state with licensing advertisers, ordinance identification and links to ordinance disposal should people find and identify expired WWII ordinance (like what happened last month with a couple finding Japanese WWII ordinance in their backyard.

You could attract hunters, manufacturers, tour companies and tourists.

IMHO.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps a section for local firing ranges and "gun" clubs.

Perhaps a forum for hunting with former military weapons... What have you caught vs. what got away forums.

Perhaps a few sponsors from manufacturers of weapons and restoration services, tour services providing safe family friendly weapons training, licensing forums by state with licensing advertisers, ordinance identification and links to ordinance disposal should people find and identify expired WWII ordinance (like what happened last month with a couple finding Japanese WWII ordinance in their backyard.

You could attract hunters, manufacturers, tour companies and tourists.

IMHO.
Great suggestions. Thanks!

michaelstrah

Here at Steel Soldiers, we have always maintained that discussions on munitions are NOT allowed, but after much debate, we have decided to change that policy. We understand that many Steel Soldiers members are firearms enthusiasts as well as military vehicles enthusiasts. The two just go hand-in-hand. We also understand that there are less and less places on the internet where you can go and have civilized discussions about firearms. So we decided to create a munitions “safe space” here for all of us. We also added a new Military Munitions TM forum to hold all of the manuals.

The Munitions TM section is public, just like the rest of the TMs, but we decided to keep the Munitions discussions forums behind the Premium Membership. This will give us the most amount of freedom to discuss munitions while minimizing the risk to the site and its members. With that said, we still need you all to be responsible and not discuss anything that would be in violation of federal, state, or local firearms laws. We will be moderating the Munitions Forums with an iron fist because we can’t take any chances in today’s environment.

Please let me know what questions you have. Enjoy the new forums!!

IN

Csm Davis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anything that would be in violation of federal, state, or local firearms laws
Not being argumentative but can you give a little better guidance on this as I thought talking about anything was considered free speech and the site could not be held accountable for anything a second party posted, as you are just a forum such as an open square. I do understand that it is privately owned and you can make the rules what you want but how would the transfer of knowledge and ideas ever be considered unlawful?
Thanks for opening this up for us!
Thanks for all else you do.
Jeff Davis

Reactions: 98G

Bobbed 923A2

I'm a new member in Simi Valley Calif, and I just finished up M923A2 Bobbed truck and quite a few people I know directed me to your
site, very informative. And opening up munitions talk large and small arms is a good thing, I'm a certified USCCA Instructor and a CCW holder in calif of all places and I would enjoy 5 ton info and suggestions along with gun, ammo, training advice etc. If I need to up my
member status so be it

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
anything that would be in violation of federal, state, or local firearms laws
Not being argumentative but can you give a little better guidance on this as I thought talking about anything was considered free speech and the site could not be held accountable for anything a second party posted, as you are just a forum such as an open square. I do understand that it is privately owned and you can make the rules what you want but how would the transfer of knowledge and ideas ever be considered unlawful?
Thanks for opening this up for us!
Thanks for all else you do.
Jeff Davis

I'd suggest you research local laws pertaining to firearms. As well as your state laws. These all vary from place to place and there's simply no way we could even attempt to be all inclusive of that. The federal stuff is pretty cut and dry. Let's pose a simple example, don't offer to create unregistered NFA items.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh goodie
Here is some of those watching everything You do now that you posted

watch watch

Orville was an extreme Optimist
I'm going to address this right off the bat. This forum is not viewable from the public. It's highly doubtful any government organization would bother upgrading a account to view what happens here. But understand, this doesn't mean one should post anything they don't feel should be public knowledge. And especially not post anything that would self incriminate if that's what you're getting at.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see this change. Munitions are a great topic and I look forward to reading the discussions from the steelsoldiers collective. Hopefully we can keep it civil and nonpartisan enough to enjoy this new forum!

PSA follows for a point of clarification…

Ordinance vs. Ordnance

This is less of a place for discussion of municipal regulations and policies (ordinance) and more of a place to discuss weapons, ammunition and related materiel (ordnance). I see that confusion all over the internet, hopefully this helps clear it up.

MG2936

Not much of a gun & ammo person but I think it's a good idea.
Not much of a gun & ammo person but I think it's a good idea.
GUN STORY circa 1997. I decide I want to go to the Knob Creek MG shoot so I buy gun #1. After the shoot I tell my wife I need another gun. I was spending too much time doing nothing while the barrel was cooling off. With 2 guns you could fire one while the other was cooling off. Bought gun #2. This worked out just fine, then I seen an ad for a 50 manufactured by AC Spark Plug. I worked at AC for 37 years and did not know that they manufactured machine guns during the war. I said wife," I got to have that gun." So with guns 1,2, and 3, I go to Knob Creek. Now what I discover on the way is that with the guns, accessories and ammo load, my 3/4 ton pickup is bottoming out on every little bump. When I got home I said, "wife.....I need a Deuce and a half to haul all this stuff." Now 24 years later I have the best of both worlds, Guns and an army truck,,,,,,Let the good times roll!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
GUN STORY circa 1997. I decide I want to go to the Knob Creek MG shoot so I buy gun #1. After the shoot I tell my wife I need another gun. I was spending too much time doing nothing while the barrel was cooling off. With 2 guns you could fire one while the other was cooling off. Bought gun #2. This worked out just fine, then I seen an ad for a 50 manufactured by AC Spark Plug. I worked at AC for 37 years and did not know that they manufactured machine guns during the war. I said wife," I got to have that gun." So with guns 1,2, and 3, I go to Knob Creek. Now what I discover on the way is that with the guns, accessories and ammo load, my 3/4 ton pickup is bottoming out on every little bump. When I got home I said, "wife.....I need a Deuce and a half to haul all this stuff." Now 24 years later I have the best of both worlds, Guns and an army truck,,,,,,Let the good times roll!
A AC spark plug M2HB is a bucket list gun of mine. I've always in the past liked GM. I'd also like to have a Hydromatic M16 too. Speaking of which I need to pick up another M1 carbine....

MG2936

A AC spark plug M2HB is a bucket list gun of mine. I've always in the past liked GM. I'd also like to have a Hydromatic M16 too. Speaking of which I need to pick up another M1 carbine.

This is the right side plate of my gun. To tell you the truth, I have never seen an AC gun for sale. I bought mine from an estate in Denver. The collector had died and a class 3 dealer was selling the guns for the estate.MGs 007.jpg

frank8003

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MG42

MG42.jpg

The Maschinengewehr 1942, or MG42, is a German machine gun, first manufactured in 1942 as the successor to the MG34. During WWII, the MG42 had the fastest rate of fire of any weapon, at 1500 rounds per minute (up to 1800). At this rate it becomes impossible for the human ear to discern the sound of individual bullets being fired, and thus when in use the gun makes a sound described both as "ripping cloth" and "Hitler's Buzzsaw". During the war, over 400,000 were manufactured.

In the late 1930s the MG34 was arguably the best machine gun in the world at the time, but was expensive and time consuming to construct. In order to arm the increasingly large German army, an effort was started to build a simpler gun that could be built much faster. The winning design was offered by a newcommer to the contest, Metall-und-Lackierwarenfabrik Johannes Grossfuss AG, experts in pressed and punched steel parts. Their efforts resulted in a dramatic reduction in complexity – it took 75 man-hours to complete the new gun as opposed to 150 for the MG34, and cost 250RM as opposed to 327RM.

The resulting MG39 remained largely similar to the earlier MG34, a deliberate decision made in order to maintain familiarity. The only major change from the gunner's perspective was dropping the drum-feed options, leaving it with belts only, and the further increase in the rate of fire. Although made of "cheap" parts, the prototypes also proved to be considerably more rugged and resistant to jamming than the somewhat tempermental MG34

Given the success of the prototype, it's somewhat mysterious that the gun did not enter production until 1942, thereby requiring a renaming to MG42. As soon as it was introduced it garnered intense demand by field units, a demand that German industry was never able to meet.

The MG42 weighed 11.6kg in the light machine gun role with the bipod, lighter than the MG34 and easily portable. The bipod, the same one used on the MG34, could be mounted to the front or the center of the gun depending on where it was being used. In the role as a heavy machine gun it utilised a newly developed Lafette 42 tripod that weighed 20.5kg on its own. The barrel was lighter than the MG34s and wore out more quickly, but could be replaced in seconds by an experienced gunner.

In 1944 the acute material shortages of the Third Reich led to a newer version, the MG45 (or MG42V), which used steel of lesser quality, reduced weight to only 9kg, and yet further improved the maximum rate of fire. First tests were undertaken in June 1944, but development dragged on and eventually only ten were ever built.

Even today it is still regarded by many experts as the best machine gun ever. The MG42, with minor modifications, is still the primary heavy machine gun of the modern German army, now called the MG3. A number of other armies around the world have adopted versions of the original, and guns looking similar, or identical, to the MG42 remain in widespread service today. The US Army's M-60 is based upon the FG42 paratrooper rifle (Fallschirmjaegergewehr) and MG42.

Statistics
  • Caliber: 7.92mm x 57mm
  • Load: continuous belt feed and drum
  • Action: Fully-Automatic (a good shot can give single fire), Air Cooled
  • Rate of Fire: 1500rpm (to 1800rpm without Recoil Booster (Rueckstossverstaerker) the fire is then not correct)
  • Weight: 25.5lbs
  • Changes parts: barrel in 5 to 8 seconds, barrel and lock in 25 to 28 seconds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks