• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep03A vs. Mouse nest = No Power

Mep Fan

Unfortunately my gen set has become a victim to a mouse nest in the bottom of the control box. At first it tripped a fuse and shut down but I then reset it and noticed smoke from the control box. I then shut it down to find a nest at the bottom of the control box. I removed the nest and found one damaged connection, a few wires charred on the outside but not all the way through. I repaired the damaged connection and started the gen set only to find that it creates power (at the convenience outlet) only during the flash of the gen-set. Once the start position is released the power drops off. I have read quite a bit on here about the same issues, I am mechanically inclined but not super familiar with this type of troubleshooting problem. I was thinking that the voltage regulator was bad and had replaced it with the help of Kurt from this forum to no avail. I did notice that there is a loose terminal on top of the control box that will not tighten all the way? Not sure where to get one of those either or even if replacing that is worth it? I really don't want to give up on this set just yet, it has worked flawlessly for over ten years and it still runs great! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Perry

Attachments

rickf

Mice pee and crap where they live (Think massive corrosion) so all of those connections will need to be taken apart, cleaned and reinstalled. Every one of them. And you need to check that one front and center in the middle pic and probably replace the terminal on the end.

rickf

Looking closer at that center pic it looks like there are wires and terminals down behind the one I mentioned and the screw I can barely see is rusted from heat, I will bet that was where the fire came from. You really need to go over all that wiring with a fine tooth comb. Now I am going to have to go out and check all of mine for nests!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks