• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 build thread

M998y

It is now time to think about my next steps after the recommended maintenances.

1- Any batteries recommendation? Any links?

2- Goal 1: 40’s tires (40x13.5R17) with at least 2” lift.
a) Will 2” be enough. If not, recommendations?
b) For a poke style, what wheel specs would you recommend? Brand/model/link?

3- Goal 2: 2 man soft top, soft doors to 4 man hardtop hard door conversion. Although the quality and convenience is there, I simply can’t stomach the price for each items, let alone the total cost for current aftermarket options. I will have to make my own.

4- other goals
- 24v to 12v conver
- AC : recommendations?

5- any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is now time to think about my next steps after the recommended maintenances.

1- Any batteries recommendation? Any links?

2- Goal 1: 40’s tires (40x13.5R17) with at least 2” lift.
a) Will 2” be enough. If not, recommendations?
b) For a poke style, what wheel specs would you recommend? Brand/model/link?

3- Goal 2: 2 man soft top, soft doors to 4 man hardtop hard door conversion. Although the quality and convenience is there, I simply can’t stomach the price for each items, let alone the total cost for current aftermarket options. I will have to make my own.

4- other goals
- 24v to 12v conver
- AC : recommendations?

5- any other recommendations?

Thanks!
1) Personally I am running these batteries, but there is a little debate as to stick with the military 6T series or use civilian sizes. I am not a purist, and the group 24AGM have been working great for me for years now.
a123f4f5dd8e3adf5c286ad751292544eb0d428b-1.jpg

2) A)39.5x13.5 will fit without any lift, so 2" lift with 40" is plenty.
B) no idea

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some AGM batteries from Walmart for $169 and 3 years warranty. Happy about it.
Running 40's with 2" body lift, I don't like the excessive gap between the tires and fenders. That's just me.
I am making a 1151A1 for the wife and I prefer my soft top with hard doors, but that's just me. Get the pockets ready as those specific parts are pricey.
Why convert to 12v? Just curious.
Red dot system AC, bulky but can't beat the performance.

M998y

Thank you all for your input above! It is much appreciated!

1- It seems commercial batteries work fine. Therefore what are the benefits of sticking with the “military” batteries?

2- @Gcelevator The 12v converter is to run none 24v equipment like regular car radio and usb charger. Wow that red dot AC is bulky indeed.

3- Anyone with 40’s that can chime in with wheel specs / brand / model they used?

As always thanks!

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter

1- It seems commercial batteries work fine. Therefore what are the benefits of sticking with the “military” batteries?

2- @Gcelevator The 12v converter is to run none 24v equipment like regular car radio and usb charger. Wow that red dot AC is bulky indeed.

3- Anyone with 40’s that can chime in with wheel specs / brand / model they used?

As always thanks!
My bad on the 12v. I thought you wanted to convert your teuck to 12VDC all together. Was talking to a friend earlier that's doing a Duramax conversion and combined both conversations. Lol

I am running 40's toyo mud terrain. Not noisy at all.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As always thanks!
I have a lot of friends running aftermarket AC systems with mounted compressors and self contained. Nothing like the red dot.

M998y

My bad on the 12v. I thought you wanted to convert your teuck to 12VDC all together. Was talking to a friend earlier that's doing a Duramax conversion and combined both conversations. Lol

I am running 40's toyo mud terrain. Not noisy at all.
Got it! What wheels (specs) are your 40s mounted on? Thanks!

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to bother me again, backtrack? Broad? Make up for?
Are your wheels flush with the edge of the fender? If not, how far do they go?
I'm just trying to get the wheels with the right specs. Thank you!
[/APPOINTMENT]
No bother at all. I have heard that the only wheels that maintain the original specifications are cepek (if I'm not mistaken)
Abrams have a -18 offset and with 37's they sticks out about 1" or so. With 40's they stick even more to the point I'm not very happy with the way they look. I'd say 2" or so.
Check the pictures and decide for yourself.
On the M1151A1 I have some Vission wheels that they stick out even more, they are -25 Offset but they don't look bad on the 37's.

Attachments

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some AGM batteries from Walmart for $169 and 3 years warranty. Happy about it.
Running 40's with 2" body lift, I don't like the excessive gap between the tires and fenders. That's just me.
I am making a 1151A1 for the wife and I prefer my soft top with hard doors, but that's just me. Get the pockets ready as those specific parts are pricey.
Why convert to 12v? Just curious.
Red dot system AC, bulky but can't beat the performance.
Check your warranty period again.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why? It is printed in the battery 3 years. I couldn't believe it but, yes 3 years.
4 year battery in my part of the world, sayes so on the front of the battery. Same battery from all the usual suspects is $100 more and 3 years around here.

I own several of this brand in different sizes.