• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80E transmission swap

Does anyone know if a early 4l80E 6 bolt torque converter will bolt to a j code 6.2 flywheel, I’m aware of everything else I need to make it shift correctly behind a mechanical diesel, but unsure about the linkages, any info, maybe one from a 1991 sqaurebody?

Barrman

I bolted a 1994 4L80E to the stock flex plate on one of my trucks. I remember at the time I was doing this the main thing was diesel torque convert to diesel 6.2 or 6.5 flex plate.

You will need to swap out the internal wiring harness on a 1991 4L80E to the 1994 and newer plug for any aftermarket controller to plug in. I suggest no matter the year of the transmission swapping that plug and harness out for a new one. The seal in the plug dries out and will let ATF get into the electrical side of things with age. A new harness is less than $100 so it is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

I b
I bolted a 1994 4L80E to the stock flex plate on one of my trucks. I remember at the time I was doing this the main thing was diesel torque convert to diesel 6.2 or 6.5 flex plate.

You will need to swap out the internal wiring harness on a 1991 4L80E to the 1994 and newer plug for any aftermarket controller to plug in. I suggest no matter the year of the transmission swapping that plug and harness out for a new one. The seal in the plug dries out and will let ATF get into the electrical side of things with age. A new harness is less than $100 so it is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
I bought a new re-man 1996 4l80E so it should have the correct wiring harness. But main question and area of grayness for me is, the torque converter to flex plate & gear selector linkages I’m gonna convert the linkage to a cable shift. (Should work?) & the converter I was wondering if a 6 bolt converter would bolt to the stock flex plate of my 85 6.2. Just curious on the bolt patterns thanks.