• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a - Battery Covers

Toolslinger

My unit has 1 of the large battery covers. It's got a couple of the small terminal covers.

Is there a good reason to keep that royal PITA, rock hard, battery cover, and is it a good enough reason that I should be picking up the second? (I'm not going to ask why the TM calls for 4)

Is that thing just rock hard from age, or are they always obnoxious to work around? I don't hate the idea of a full battery cover, but I also don't want it to make life difficult for periodic battery maintenance.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When new you got two floppy individual terminal covers (one red, one black) and one molded plastic sheet that covers both. They are all highly annoying, but do provide arcing protection from dropped tools.

With that said, you will not find any in my personal machine. Nor will you find radiator guards.

Toolslinger

I kinda like the idea of arc protection, but damn if they couldn't have come up with a more user friendly option... The floppy rubber units are easy, but then, they're so floppy, they might not be ideal... Where is that goldilocks solution?

The radiator guards don't bother me much yet, though I haven't had to work on the unit often enough to find out. One is about half cracked off, and I was debating fixing it while I had it off last weekend. In the end I just put it back on for now. I figure it might give me a little bit of protection if the belt happened to let go when I have a door open. If they annoy me, they're easy enough to ditch.

I'm happy that I've reached the point of complaining about minor things.

Today is hopefully the day to get the weather proof outlet setup. After that it'll be in service, and hopefully become that boring green box in the woodline that just works when needed.

Guyfang

Staff member
I kinda like the idea of arc protection, but damn if they couldn't have come up with a more user friendly option... (Than make your own. If they are good, you can sell them) The floppy rubber units are easy, but then, they're so floppy, they might not be ideal... (When new, they are much stiffer) Where is that goldilocks solution? (These things are the first thing the soldiers toss away. Having said that, I once got to watch a really neat light show, when someone dropped a 19 mm wrench into and on top of, a battery.

The radiator guards don't bother me much yet, though I haven't had to work on the unit often enough to find out. (I always thought they were a PITA. One day checking oil, I had a rag wrapped around my hand to clean off the dip stick. The end of the rag got picked up by the fan slip stream and away it went. Had that rag been wrapped a tad tighter, my name here might be Lefty.) One is about half cracked off, and I was debating fixing it while I had it off last weekend. In the end I just put it back on for now. I figure it might give me a little bit of protection if the belt happened to let go when I have a door open. (One in ten hundred billion possibility. I would be much more interested in what the fan can to to things that it sucks in. Hands and parts.) If they annoy me, they're easy enough to ditch.

I'm happy that I've reached the point of complaining about minor things.

Today is hopefully the day to get the weather proof outlet setup. After that it'll be in service, and hopefully become that boring green box in the woodline that just works when needed.

Fans scare me. I almost got my hand in one, I lost some skin. That was enough for a life time. And we had a Air Con we painted a name on the side. Meat Eater. One of the D. S. repair guys, managed to get his hand vertically, (Instead of horizontally) positioned by the fan. All four of his fingers on his left had were the same, shortened length afterward.

Also, look at your slave receptacle. If the positive side is facing your face when looking at it, you need to turn it so you never get a wrench on it to touch ground. There was an emergency MWO out telling troops to do so.

Toolslinger

Fans scare me too. I managed to get my hair caught in the fan of a saw-z-all once while on top of a ladder. Happened so fast I didn't know what happened, just that I had slammed my skull in to the housing. How I didn't fall off the ladder, I don't know. The only reason I get near one running is to look around for leaks, and I do that from a distance now.