• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Wire Marking Method

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locating the tiny wire number tags is daunting. I have reused the metal tags as often as I can, but it seems that lately, the tiny aluminum legs are breaking off and attempts to find and purchase new tags has ended in failure. So.... to mark my wires, I have been printing the wire number (point size 15), cutting it out, and slipping into a piece of clear shrink tube. It seems to be working, but I haven't had the truck out of the shop to know how well it will last.

Attachments

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I LIKE this idea. I'll be stealing this idea and applying as i move forward. I currently print thermal ( waterproof ) 'peal and stick' labels and put all over the place.
Thank you for posting

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried the thermal labels using my P120 label maker, but in my case, they peeled away from the wires. I thought my wires might be oily, so i wiped them with paint thinner, but it didn't make any difference.

HDN

This is a great idea! In my experience heat shrink is indestructible in normal wiring applications, so I imagine these labels will last awhile. It's probably best to be sure that the label is well within the heat shrink, otherwise water may damage any exposed label edges and probably the label, like how laminated paper when cut-up is vulnerable in this way.